tricks for quieting squeaky brakes?

luccianoduckman

LVC Member
Reaction score
Alright here's a cheesy question.

I've recently replaced all 4 calipers (reman from Centric) and rotors and rubber brake hoses. Pads are Centric ceramic.
When I installed the pads I used the anti-squeal stuff from CRC Chemicals. I used red thread locker on the bracket bolts.
But over the last couple of days my right front wheel started squealing somethin' awful. But it only seems to do it after it gets hot. Weird.
So I took it apart, cleaned the pads and the contact points in the caliper where the pads touch, re-applied the anti-squeak stuff and put it back together and let it sit overnight to allow the stuff to dry.
Low and behold - the crazy thing started squealing again today.

Here's my cheesy (but shameless) question: what else can I do? Is this a known issue with this car?

I had an old Toyota with the same problem a few years back. The dealer told me that this was a known issue and there wasn't anything that could be done. I thought that was a pretty lame answer, but then it was Toyota. :cool:

I've never had the issue and I've never done a rotor change the proper way. I was told you're suppose to do hard stops after putting the new rotors on to put a layer of material on them. I think it's like 5 MPH then slam the brake, 15 MPH then slam the brake and 25 MPH then slam the brake or something of the sort.

Someone with more knowledge will chime in I'm sure and correct what I said but it's something along those lines and it might fix your problem.

Also, did you grease the guide pins?

On my 95, 126K, I used Wagner Thermo Quiet pads. I've never changed A rotor in my life, and I'm old. I clean them with 2 different gritts of emery cloth. I did the brakes about 20K ago, and it still has the best brakes of all my cars. My CE has the same pads, but I didn't put them on, and get to clean the rotors. Sounds like something is not clean, coating on new rotors?

Jbel has the right idea. I have always bedded the brakes by panic stops at 30 and 50 - 4 of each. But I have never known a squealing brake to get better as time goes by, so something has to be causing it that is specific to the one side. You will have to figure out what. I would start with the pins and work backwards.

When braking in pads and rotors NEVER come to a complete stop.
For my ebc's I have to drive them really nice for 200 miles than do the break in/bedding process.

A trick we used to do to stop squeaky brakes was to scuff up the rotors than bed them again.

Please print out or memorize the correct bedding process.

Im curious, do you live near a large body of water? ie: ocean, lake, river? is your car prone to sitting extended periods of time between drivings? the reason I ask is, that its very common for brakes to "rust" up overnight in a humid, salty environment. they will squeak till the rust is worn off....usually braking a few times. I remember driving to florida and my brakes would squeak just being parked overnight. Just a thought.

I may be completely off with this but I experienced squeaking not to long ago and thought it was the brakes. I thought the sound was coming from the front. According to the mechanic it was the wheel bearings in the rear... Maybe have those checked. I thought the sounds was coming from the front.

Members online

No members online now.
Back