tremec swap? can it be done?or ne 5speed for that matter

I'd be concerned with wheelhop with 4.10's and a Cobra ratio T56.. I'd think anything taller than a 3.55 would make 1st rather pointless :confused:

Interesting point about the F body and GTO tails .. I'm not close to starting the project for another couple months at least, hopefully someone finds a nice solution. I hadn't measured but I assumed the shifter loc on the T-56'd be a bit further back than that on the T45.. that's unfortunate you're telling me it's not.

Marauderprime: if you set up a kit that works well, I'd be obliged. I'll enjoy performing the swap, but anything that takes out guesswork will be a huge plus. (if you'd like to document everything anally , measurments etc, I'll pay you for your time.)

I assumed this thread would end up with a bunch of bs wish stories, good information so far. Keep it coming guys.. :)

unfortunately, about all i can do is research, measure, and screw with the pedal assemblies for now, since I am already 42k in debt, buying an actual T56 right now is impractical for me, but I sure do know how to convert a car over as I have done it twice. I will have the pedal assembly finalized no later than dec. 14th, and I will post pictures some time after that. Also I am in the process of building a bracket to hold the computer up out of the way, as laying it across the dash reinforcements is probably not a permanent solution.

Ford specifically designed the tailhousing on the T56 to duplicate the location of the T45/tremec shifters so that it would not have to alter the hole in the body for the cobras. While the cobras are built off the line separately, they still start off life as body in whites just like the rest of them and ford is cheap. Which is good, cause it passes the savings on to us.

As for wheelhop, Bill at SCP is a super awesome guy, and he can hook you up with a set of poly carrier bushings that will work wonders. I had a wheelhop problem with my automatic (mostly because my stock bushings were shot) and he hooked me up really nicely. He has good pricing on MN12 stuff too.

As for the gearing, I believe that 1st is 2.66, with a 26.5 to 28 inch tall tire and 4.10 gears, thats going to put the 1/2 shift around 38-42 miles an hour, so hardly useless. Although this depends on what your future mods are. Eventually I plan on running a vortech S-trim, which would love 4.10s, and give me decent traction. If you guys are ever planning on a C series swap with a positive displacement blower, id stick with the 3.55s, like poniesviii mentioned

howabout another update! and with that update I have to offer an apology.

When I originally sat about on this endeavour to put a clutch pedal in my 2 pedal mark, I wanted to go about doing it in such a way, that very little fabrication would be needed, the car would remain intact, and it would be easily duplicable by anyone, mostly just to shut up naysayers.

Instead, my little mark viii project has gotten out of control, because now I am essentially building a custom car out of it. I want this thing to be quiet inside like a lincoln, loud outside like an aston DB7, sporty like an M6, and slightly custom inside. On that note, I just ordered a complete eibach 1.5 inch drop/koni spring shock setup, 2 2.5 inch dynomax bullets, 1 stainless 2.5 inch X-pipe, 2 2.5 inch inlet, dual 2.75 inch tip outlet titanium mufflers, and I am going to have an exhaust shop bend these up for me. You wouldnt think that this would affect the overall project, however I decided to customize my interior as well. I ordered 2 white leather racing seats, which I am going to affix to the stock mark viii power seat tracks, and I ordered a thunderbird supercoupe manual emergency brake handle, I also picked up a black carpet. I am going to install the black carpet when the racing seats get here, additionally, I am removing the center console. I am going to use the stock center console as a template for the new one, however the new one is going to be longer, and wider than the original. It is going to have a brushed aluminum top on it, I am going to retain the factory mark viii armrest, however my console will have a provision for 2 cup holders, an additional powerpoint, a few oem looking switches, and additional storage space. Additionally this console is going to be set up for my new manual handbrake, and I am going to follow the instructions outlined on TCCOA.com to convert the handbrake cable over.

This is where I cheated. With a handbrake in the center console, I am going to remove the foot brake E-brake, and this is where the ECM is going to go. I should point out that I am doing this as a matter of taste and personal style, not a matter of necessity. Once I am done puttering around with the drivers side footwell, I will figure out a way to mount everything with the ECM and foot brake in a relatively stock location. I understand that most people who are putting a 6 speed in their mark are probably not interested in a custom center console and a handbrake conversion.

That said, I am trying to decide between using a supercoupe clutch pedal, or starting from scratch with the pedal, and I actually still have not made a decision as to whether I am going to go hydraulic or cable. The fellow that put the T45 in his blue 93 or 94 mark mentioned to me that he had to clearance his shock tower to fit the clutch master cylinder. This is absolutely not an option for me, so I will not be doing that. If I can find a clutch master that will fit, I will go with a hydraulic setup with a hydraulic throwout bearing, like the LS1 cars do. If not, I will run a cable setup.

lincoln is a luxary car - luxary usually are all auto, why not swap the motor into a mustang gt? then youll be manual minus 500 lbs with less work?

I have been asked by a few enthusists why I cut into a fine piece of machinary.

The only answer I could give is... Its only metal. metal is here to be an expressive extentsion of a personality.

I offered to sell them the car since I was about to cut it up and they got quiet really fast.

I personally think its awesome to see others cutting into thier cars.

I'm VERY interested in hear where all of this goes...

Would be great if an F-body T56 would fit perfect; I'm sure they are plentiful from the junk yard!

My second gear is shot, and I think I need a new tranny. If I have to replace the trans, I may as well swap it for a manual!

I'm looking for as little guesswork as possible, as this is my daily driver to work. Would one of you guys who've done this before list everything I am going to need, from parts down to tools so I can figue out how much more it would cost me to do this than just having a rebuilt auto put into mine? I don't have alot of personal experiance working on cars, just the basics, but my friends and I want to tackle this and both of them have pretty detailed knowledge. Between the 3 of us I think we have all the tools, just need to make sure.

Also, if anyone wants to make a step-by-step outline on doing one, I would be very appreciative. So far as far as parts, I have the following list:

Trans - F-body T56
Clutch cable
Peddals
Flywheel Clutch?
Clutch kit

Anything I am missing here? Which clutch kit should I use that would be best for daily driver for morning comute, but can moonlight as a racer?

I am swaping to a t56 right now. i am going to the junkyard next weekend to pick the trans up. the engine and old trans is out and everything. i am going with a stock mustang GT flywheel (from 5 star ford) the flywheel MUST be out of a GT NOT a cobra because the cobra is a 8 bolt and the gt and mark are 6 bolts so the cobra flywheel would not bolt up.i have a stage 1 cobra clutch and pressure plate kit from www.americanmuscle.com .As for the acual pedals i am not sure what i will be using i think i will try a 03-04 cobra clutch pedal assembely (using a cable setup) but at that piont it is guess work. the trans and bellhouse is coming out of a 03-04 cobra as for the f-body tailshaft i have no clue where it will come up but i will ether take a f-body or GTO tailshaft. i will keep u guys updated as the project goes along!

In response to the last post .. I think it'd be ideal to keep expense down, newer trans has less availability. Especially that new.

I'm also able to make use of any information, so however small you think it is,,,, post up all information you guys gather towards the T56, please. :D I also really appreciate it.

Your statement can't be argued with. I'm surprised, 'new take off' .. why would there be any take off's?! Ha. And, dirt cheap.

I have no idea where they are getting these take offs from, but that price is only $50 more than I was quoted for a t45 out of an 01 stang with 100k on it.

Members online

No members online now.
Back