Transmission?

Fuzzy29

LVC Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, so i got in my car this morning and i shifted it into reverse n it slammed in pretty hard and then when i put it in drive it goes just fine and it goes into 2nd 3rd fine then 4th its hard n 5th goes fine. Is my tranny in limp mode or what could it be!? Thanks!!!

Hey guys, so i got in my car this morning and i shifted it into reverse n it slammed in pretty hard and then when i put it in drive it goes just fine and it goes into 2nd 3rd fine then 4th its hard n 5th goes fine. Is my tranny in limp mode or what could it be!? Thanks!!!

Classic faulty solenoid assembly symptom.

Someone verify, not all code readers can pick up the transmission codes? I'm right there with ya fuzzy. Mine jerks in reverse, hard into park and real firm in other gears and the dealer said solenoid with no codes or lights.

I had the same problem last year. The classic fix of a new/rebuilt solenoid is needed. This is a do-it yourselfer if you have 4 jack stands, a crawler and a hand fluid pump.

There's no easy way to check you fluid level color. But you can check the level by removing the center drain plug and slowly pump fluid in from the rear fill plug. If fluid immediately over flows from the drain plug, your fluid level is fine. If not, slowly keep pumping it until it over flows.

The service manual only indicates :

Change automatic transmission/transaxle fluid on all vehicles equipped with AX4S,
AX4N, 4R70W, 4R100, 4F27E. Inspect automatic transmission fluid level on all other
vehicles, if equipped with dipstick.

On another note, it may be me, but I let the engine idle down from initial start up before I put it into R or Dx. I must be a wimp. I also avoid turning the wheels unless the car is moving even slightly.

The service manual only indicates :

Change automatic transmission/transaxle fluid on all vehicles equipped with AX4S,
AX4N, 4R70W, 4R100, 4F27E. Inspect automatic transmission fluid level on all other
vehicles, if equipped with dipstick.

On another note, it may be me, but I let the engine idle down from initial start up before I put it into R or Dx. I must be a wimp. I also avoid turning the wheels unless the car is moving even slightly.

If you read to the end, it does say at 150K miles to change the fluid on all transmission, ours included. That seems a little long to me, so I cut it in half and do it every 75K miles.

I don't wait for the idle to drop, and I don't get any jolt when I put it in gear in my 06. However, on my 04 this problem did develop. The solution was to replace the solenoid assembly. Now there's no jolt with it either.

Yup, I see that now. Thanks

will have the shop do that when I change the oil, since this car is new to me, I want to cover the bases with the normal maintenance schedule.

Members online

No members online now.
Back