transmission won't shift.

MAllen82

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
I've read a few threads on this but I couldn't find anyone with a tranny that wouldn't shift at all, just slow shifts. I'm having my car towed tomorrow to my dealer. Anyone have any ideas of whether it could be just an issue of flashing the pcm or or a solenoid replacement? Thanks in advance.

pcm unlikely. won't shift from what to what?

anything to anything. I apologize, I should have elaborated. When I move the shifter into reverse from park, or any other gear selection, the transmission stays in park.

strange. does the electronic indicator change (or does it stay in P)?

It could be something as simple as the linkage coming loose. It could be the PCM, since it controls the tranny, but that seems highly unlikely. You might look for loose connectors, but I'm betting it's something mechanical (like linkages, solenoid packs, etc), not electronic.

On one occasion mine wouldn't shift into reverse. It was apparently in neutral. The car wanted to roll forward and the throttle didn't help at all. I had to shift into drive, let it engage, then back into reverse and it was fine.

Please tell me this isn't how yours started!

You should have em check your oil level in your transmission, mine was low once after servicing in the dealer and the car wouldn't go in to the gear or would kick in late and the engine would shut down. The dealer added some oil and it was good as new.

Might be not that, but worth of trying.

Are you positive the car stays in Park? If so, that's a good thing in this case. Park is a manual operation of actually forcing a pawl into a cogged gear. If it's staying in Park, then you have lost a mechanical link somewhere. That SHOULD be much easier and cheaper to fix than losing a clutch, band, etc and should not require an overhaul. Even if the failure is inside the trans as opposed to the external linkage, it is very likely it can be repaired with the trans in the car. This should have absolutely nothing to do with the ECM.

If the car is not staying in Park, but still won't engage a gear, then you have serious problems.

Wow I didn't think I'd find this thread. I garaged the car for quite awhile, running on idle once a month and apparently I am still having the same issue. Not sure why I would think it would have gone away. Anybody else have any advice or opinions on this issue? I'm taking to my mechanic who has a good transmission guy to look at it, but I'm hoping not to have to rebuild or replace the tranny.....

Just to recap, when I start my car after letting it sit for about an hour, I shift into r or d and it acts as if it's in N. I have to rev the engine to 2500 for 45 seconds and then it will shift into gear.

Wow I didn't think I'd find this thread. I garaged the car for quite awhile, running on idle once a month and apparently I am still having the same issue. Not sure why I would think it would have gone away. Anybody else have any advice or opinions on this issue? I'm taking to my mechanic who has a good transmission guy to look at it, but I'm hoping not to have to rebuild or replace the tranny.....

Just to recap, when I start my car after letting it sit for about an hour, I shift into r or d and it acts as if it's in N. I have to rev the engine to 2500 for 45 seconds and then it will shift into gear.
That sounds very like low fluid!
KS

I agree. Check fluid level. It's not real easy and the LS has no transmission dipstick. So read how to properly check the fluid level. The car MUST be level when this is done.

Also the LS has NO shift linkage. It's completely electric. Now you can have shifter problems in the console that prevent the correct signals from reaching the transmission but no shift linkage to adjust.

I'm bringing it to my mechanic this weekend. I had it towed many years back right before I garaged it and I guess I just assumed they checked the fluid levels before they told me to replace the tranny......silly me. I'm going to have my guy check the transmission fluid and oil level, correct? Anything else I should have him check on? I'm thinking of getting the solenoids replaced as well because it is shifting rough as well and I don't want to go down the other common road with LS's tranny's.

Thanks.

Also the LS has NO shift linkage. It's completely electric. Now you can have shifter problems in the console that prevent the correct signals from reaching the transmission but no shift linkage to adjust.
I don't remember if it does anything other than operate the parking pawl, but there is mechanical linkage between the shifter and the tranny. You may not be able to see it from underneath the car, but if you've ever looked at an LS's shifter assembly, you'll see a lever sticking out the bottom--the linkage attaches to this lever.

My shifter gets stuck in manual mode help?

What do you mean? Does the lever get physically stuck, such that it takes way to much force to move it back?
Did you ever spill anything into the shifter console? I think that you will have to take the trim off and see what's jamming it up. If it's just when in manual mode, it will be inside the car at the gearshift.

gonna have to take it apart and inspect it to see what is causing the sticking.

Members online

Back