transmission wont grab any gears

towed to tranny shop today. oil level was fine. the bottom of the pan had thin layer of fine metal shavings through about half of it and the magnet pretty much looked like a birthday cake with fine shavings. he suggested the torque converter went out pushing metal back through the tranny ruining the pump. rebuild 3200. ouch, but i want my car. gonna be rebuilt in house with all updates available ( torque converter). he suggested i had a 5r55s tranny based on his book ( the one with the S in the back).

question 1. is the price reasonable
2. are the symptoms i described and saw myself signs of needing a new tranny?
3. are the parts of a S and N tranny exchangeable within the tranny since im using a master rebuild kit.
4. 2000 lincoln ls v8 use a type N tranny i believe. no way i could have an S?... ( drain plug is at the bottom of the drain pan, to the right hand side i believe, kinda in the middle)

sorry for all my questions, i just wanna make sure the cars going to get done right, i love my LS !!!

Just a FYI, I have a 2000 LS8 and I put a new transmission with new converter, and all new sensors/solenoids for $2800. That was the dealership doing everything. I dropped it off and picked it up with a new tranny with a 3-year/36,000 miles warranty too. Might want to check to dealer just in case.

yea that price seems high,when mine went out i bought i used one on ebay for $375 and put it in myself ,wasnt that hard ,but i got some quotes before doing it and most shops charge around $40-$500 to swap trannies..So i would have been right around $1000 if i had a shop do it.I would check around because $3200 seems really expensive.You could probally buy a whole new car for that much..

No way you have an S. Do Not attempt to swap an S in place of an N. Won't work. Some internals swap, but not much. The correct way to ID is by the fill plug. N has it on the rear of the tail cover facing towards the rear of the car. S as it on the side of the tail cover facing the driver's side.

I do have an N, i was right. His book said i have an S, but by vin i have an N ( and year ). he called me after he ordered the parts and said i was in fact correct. he ordered a master rebuild kit.

i was there yesterday when he pulled the pan so i could asses the damage myslf before making a pricey purchase. it was very very filmy at the bottom of the pan and the magnet looked like a birthday cake.

he called me this morning and said something about a sprag assembly and another thing i do not remember. im pretty much getting the transmission rebuilt in house, 3 year 50k warranty. didnt put the streetfighter TC in there, maybe i will later when i have cash for all the other upgrades so i can do em at the same time. dont wanna mess with a 3k stall time and i dont know a whole lot about that.

overall 3200$ with tax and tow, i might have saved a couple hundred at a different shop, might not have. i told him to save all of my old parts because i want to see them which he agreed. he suggested this is something that happened slowly over time but the problem was noticable when it ( sprag + other? ) went out completely and now the tranny wont engage any gears and im lucky if one grabs.

i do take my car to the dealer ever 30k-50k max for flush, filter and pan gasket of transmission ( using parts i bought from vendors here).

thats all i know, i can post after i look over the old parts and could possibly check em at work and get a couple more opinions.

Last edited:
Ehh.. To each his own.. I defiantly want to put one in mine.. The only way I can explain it is foot braking to 3k then it feels like dumping the clutch.. Letting you get off the line faster.. But if you 'never want to feel the performance', then it would probably be a waste of money

i gotcha. but what about normal everyday driving? hope i dont have to hit 3k before it locks i mean. i was told that would be different than just normal driving. dont get me wrong, i do have a lead foot and love the LS... but i dont fully understand the whole 3k stall. i did research it though :)

No.. It always grabs like the stock one, but lets your RPMs climb then engages as so to put you in the 'sweet spot'.. Normal driving remains the same.. I mean.. Well it's had to explain because it will be different but it's not going to hit 3k before it goes.. Stock, if I had to take a guess, I would say we probably had a 1750 or 1850 stall.. Could be lower.. That's a total thrown out figure..

A higher stall lets the engine rev higher when you lean into it. Think of it as the converter is "looser".
In normal daily driving, a higher stall tends to feel more sluggish off the line for light throttle, and your constant speed RPMs may be higher than stock. But for heavy throttle, the engine will get into the power band quicker.

Members online

No members online now.
Back