Transmission whine

nsjuice

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
I got frustrated reading non related search finds for my 97, decided to ask instead.

I noticed some whining while in first gear only. Other than that, all is fine..

What is the culprit to this?

Number 2 issue: Bottom end acceleration seems to be heavy/slow ... It's not hesitating or anything... just seems like I really have to push the pedal to the floor to make the car get up and go..

Typical for a 130k Mark?

Thanks guys.

-Ness

Well 1st gear whines it's an Auto, it's not a Manual now. I believe the reverse gear is being used aswell (causing whine) when left in 1st-can someone correct me here if i'm wrong??

Also the gearing is very long, so the pedal HAS to be pushed all the way to accelerate. If you had 4.30 gears, you'd be feathering the pedal to get off the line.

No 4r70w I have owned has ever made a single sound.... doesn't sound good to me...

How does the fluid look, sounds like a converter issue.

I think he means he is in 1st (manually)...that whining noise, i believe is because the reverse gear is working aswell as the 1st..??

It doesn't matter where the shifter is... if there is a winning sound and boggy accel then something isn't right....

on my first gen between 4K and 6K the trans pump whined like the positive displacement pump that it is...

had people ask me if it was supercharged (they were dumbasses of course)

but.. I've had a whiney first gear and I've had valve body BUZZ tooo.

just seems like I really have to push the pedal to the floor to make the car get up and go..

Typical for a 130k Mark?

Thanks guys.

-Ness

Ness, this sounds like the normal factory programming to me.

There is ALOT of "tip in spark retard" from the factory.
That will make you push the gas pedal with no effect, so you push it somemore and not much happens, then 1-5 seconds later BAAAAM the car starts accelerating..but not before you get VERY VERY DEEP into the gas pedal.

THAT is "tip in retard" and there's about 21 degree's in the first gens and 18ish degree's of "timing dump" in the second gens.

This coupled with the "trans killing steady state slip" are the #1 and #2 reasons to get the PCM tuned properly.

appreciate for the feeback.

The whine is not super loud to where it would seem like a supercharger or anything. 1st gear does sound like a Reverse Gear whine, just not as loud.

I'm just making sure, I wasn't so aware before.. maybe because I always had the stereo excessively loud most of the time.

XLR, thanks for the confirmation.. I assume it's just the stock settings, and my heavy ass adding to the weight of the car making it a bit sluggish.. and the fact that it is 130k.

Members online

No members online now.
Back