Transmission vibration during shifting

ShoogDoog

LVC Member
Reaction score
Hello, everyone. I have a 2004 LS with V8, with 116,000 miles. When the transmission shifts from 3rd to 4th and/or from 4th to 5th, there is a vibration as it does so. I bought the car in 2008, with 50,000 miles, and one of the first things I had done (at a dealership) was a change of transmission fluid; nothing else has been done to the transmission. Does this vibration sound like a serious problem is in the future, and if so, can anything be done before disaster?

Also, I'm not sure if this is due to the transmission, but at 60 to 70 mph speeds the car rides smoothly, though every so often a vibration occurs that might not be attributable to the tires - felt mostly as a slight steering wheel shimmy. Can a transmission even cause this type of vibration?

So how worried should I be?
Thanks.
Ed

Sorry to hear about the trouble. Personally Id start with the couplers between the trans/ driveshaft and driveshaft/ rear diff. Also Id check the rear cv joints for internal play. Good luck!

Yup... LS has a 2 piece driveshaft with a center support bearing (like a pickup truck).

The rubber around that center bearing goes bad... and causes a vibration. Especially in colder weather. It's not usually noticeable in warmer weather.

but at 60 to 70 mph speeds the car rides smoothly, though every so often a vibration occurs that might not be attributable to the tires - felt mostly as a slight steering wheel shimmy
This could also be worn steering components... or ball joints. Shimmy at 65-70 mph is usually a sign of bad ball joints.

Thanks for all of the comments on the vibration; I'll look into those.
The problem I'm more worried about though is when the transmission shifts from 3rd to 4th and/or from 4th to 5th, there is what feels like slippage as it shifts.

That may mean you need a drive band adjustment on the tranny... or some electrical component is giving off Radio Frequency Interference.

Most likely the ignition coils... or heater control valve... or a couple other things.

Is your "check engine" light on?

Are there any trouble codes?

I was wondering if it could be a drive band adjustment problem - I sure hope not.

I think the coils are ok. But I do have a heating system problem that JoeGR said is likely the Blower Speed Control, which requires dash removal(!) to replace. It's a surprise that you suggest that a heater control valve might be involved in what feels like a transmission problem. Wow, this car is complicated.

Could be at the point where I need to get these problems nailed down and then make some serious decisions.

No check engine light.

Band adjustment is pretty easy... but the access to the adjusters and lock nuts is a bit tight. If the tranny has never been serviced (fluid and filter change) it would be a good thing to do at the same time as the bands.

It's still most like some RFI feedback to the PCM that is causing your issue. Yes... the coils are most likely the culprit.

Heater control valve can short to ground.

Members online

Back