Transmission rebuild - upgrade internals?

Rancor Keeper

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
So the guy who's rebuilding my transmission has struck out trying to find a shift kit or manufacturer who sells heavy duty internals like clutches, bands, etc. Has anyone rebuilt their tranny with upgraded internals?

Bout the only thing I remember for upgrades on the LS tranny... is a company that sells a pump alignment kit... and upgraded valve body springs. Possibly a valve body servo bore kit too.

It's in a couple threads from about 5 years ago.

IIRC... there is a version of the 5r55s that was used in certain year Mustangs. You might want to dig around and see if anything pops up.

... and upgraded valve body springs. Possibly a valve body servo bore kit too.
It's in a couple threads from about 5 years ago.
Searching posts here brought up squat, which is why I started the thread, but some searching on my Mustang Forums on the 5R55S & valve body springs helped me find these guys: Ford 5R55S Transmission

Thanks for replying about the valve body - I don't think I would have searched using that part otherwise.

Transtar was the brand I was thinking of. I know they made a pump alignment kit.

There website has changed some... and it seems harder to navigate now.

A couple threads mention using an SCT tuner to bump line pressure instead of installing a shift kit.

A couple threads mention using an SCT tuner to bump line pressure instead of installing a shift kit.
My 93 Octane tune has the tranny programmed for harder shifts & increased line pressure, but frankly, it's nothing close to a shift kit. But with a slightly beefier rebuild, maybe I'll get more than 85,000 miles out of this one.

Appreciate all your help on this.

Members online

Back