Transmission question...

kleetus

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
How well does the 5 speed automatic run behind the 4 cam 4.6? I have an LS with the 5 speed in it, and basically, I'm happy with how it runs. My thought was down the road to pick up a marauder or crown vic and stuff the 5 speed behind the 4 cammer and see what I can break... Any comments?

Fantastic

kleetus said:
How well does the 5 speed automatic run behind the 4 cam 4.6? I have an LS with the 5 speed in it, and basically, I'm happy with how it runs. My thought was down the road to pick up a marauder or crown vic and stuff the 5 speed behind the 4 cammer and see what I can break... Any comments?

My 2004 Aviator Ultimate has the 5 speed behind the 4 cam 4.6L, engine used in the marauder and mustang mach I.

Comes complete w/high stall speed converter, and computer controlled shift points that shift at 6000 rpm at wide open throttle.

This transmission really allows the high revving 4.6 to do it's thing. Docile and tame around town, and a surprising bear on the open road.

the only problem with the LS trans,same as the aviator,is the over drive band is used to get 5 forward speeds,the servo borewears out causing pressure lose.pressure solinoids act up now and then,other than these small probs,the trans is solid.tweak away.

I have an Aviator with the 4.6 liter DOHC and mated to the 5 speed transmission. I believe in the Maurder and the Mustand it was not a 32 valve but a 16 valve. The 32 valve is alot smoother and quieter and the 5 speed automatic is the smoothest Ford transmission that I have ever driven. This tranny shifts when it is suppose to and makes the most of the 4.6 liter.

Members online

No members online now.
Back