transmission problems help

Reddog

LVC Member
Reaction score
I bought a 1998 mark viii lsc ce today. So when I drove it it drove nice little shutter when shifting once. I notice the transmission Fluid was low so I added some in park car was warm. I drive it about 5 miles to where I was parking it when I got there I put it in neutral to rev it then wait ed for the rpms to drop then put it in drive didn't want to move gave it some gas then will move . Go's into reverse fine. Checked the fluid again and added a little more still didn't want to go. Also car sat for 6 months. Is it possible it's over full? But not showing it. The shifter also feels weird . 140,000Like the car and want to keep it but might try to get my money back. Help please .

Sounds like the trans is on its way out, if you really like it you can put a trans in it. If you have to have someone else do it you might want to think about getting your money back.
Its that bad of a job but a trans shop will take advantage of full book time on that car.

I can rebuild it but god damn i just got the thing and really don't want to. The gm gods are mad at me for buying a Ford lol. I payed$ 1500 so not to horrible. I'll change the fluid and filter and see if that does it.
Was hoping it was a common problem with this with a easy fix.

It sucks that the trans might be going but if it's in good shape i'd keep it and throw a trans in. A CE in good shape is worth saving. :)

If the trans is dying and you change the fluid it may not go anywhere afterwards. All the friction material in the fluid will be gone. Just be prepared if this happens.

20140411_195739.jpg20140411_195700.jpg20140411_195746.jpg it's in good shape needs paint and some metal repair has some rust issues brakes I was looking for a project car something like 79 malibu or 85 to 87 regal but found this beauty lol.

20140411_195739.jpg

20140411_195700.jpg

20140411_195746.jpg

This car was seized In a drug bust .then used as a undercover car for drug bust,then it was the sheriff's car . So when I go to work on it today I am going to be lookin for drugs to cover parts cost lol.

Looks like a very decent car. Absent the trans problem, you'd figure it was an excellent buy, right? I'd try the fluid change with a quart of Lucas and hope that makes it shift. When you remove the pan and the initial plug is still there, you'll know nobody has serviced it in this lifetime. Then, if you have to resort to a rebuild, you'll know you tried the simple stuff first. RoadBoss is right. Be sure to use the V. It should tell you right on the dipstick. I got lucky on an old SHO several years back. For $50, its a good bet.

Before I changed the fluid I would go to napa and buy a tube of dr. Tranny. Its about$8 and comes in a tube that looks like toothpaste. Dump it in and go for a ride. It almost instantly eliminates shutter. Its much cheaper than a fluid change. It looks likeca nice car. Good luck and welcome to lvc!

Before I changed the fluid I would go to napa and buy a tube of dr. Tranny. Its about$8 and comes in a tube that looks like toothpaste. Dump it in and go for a ride. It almost instantly eliminates shutter. Its much cheaper than a fluid change. It looks likeca nice car. Good luck and welcome to lvc!

Love me some Dr. Tranny. Though I've never used it for a slipping issues, only shudder. I'd try and get the fluid to the correct level and then add a tube. Worth a try for under $10.

Yeah it wouldn't move when I got to it. so I am not going to even bother with additives. Found some overhaul kits for around $200 so I'll be going that route . Hope it will pass echeck. Is it normal for these cars to take a while for the rpm to drop after reving the engine .

Yeah it wouldn't move when I got to it. so I am not going to even bother with additives. Found some overhaul kits for around $200 so I'll be going that route . Hope it will pass echeck. Is it normal for these cars to take a while for the rpm to drop after reving the engine .

I have never timed it but i'd guess around 10 seconds depending on the temperature.

Save her if you can, there all getting harder to find.

You should take allot of pictures and make this into a progress thread. Would love to watch some one go through a 4R70W and learn some things.

Not familiar with the 4r70w .what's the difference between a 97 4r70w out of a Mustang and a 98 4r70w out of my lincoln

Save her if you can, there all getting harder to find.

You should take allot of pictures and make this into a progress thread. Would love to watch some one go through a 4R70W and learn some things.

I will try it will be slow as the car is 50 minutes away and don't have a lot of time to work on it right now

Not familiar with the 4r70w .what's the difference between a 97 4r70w out of a Mustang and a 98 4r70w out of my lincoln

the 98 trans has better internals. also, in 1998 the changed the transmission wiring harness pinout. its easy to repin to match your transmission.

Finally decided to take the transmission apart. Found problem outer forward piston seal blown out. Lol look at that clutch no friction material left and warped lol really bad .

20140506_172711.jpg

20140506_172615.jpg

No sorry, I should have followed through with more pics, with my hands covered in trans fluid I didn't grab my phone too much . Plus as I am not experienced with this trans I wouldn't want to give someone bad info maybe next time. It was running good un tell today. I was on my way home from work. Noticed a lot of nice cars going the same way, asked one guy what was going on, and he said there was a car show ,so I busted a youee ,and got in the turning lane, and noticed smoke, pulled off turns out I busted a trans line i mickey moused with rubber line.

Members online

No members online now.
Back