Transmission problems growing

Chubbs765

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
Here recently I've been noticing my transmission problems have grown slightly, I've noticed a harsher engagement going into reverse and at highway speeds it's almost like there is a loss of power. Anyways does anyone have a ballpark estimate for ford to replace the solenoid if that's what it even is?

Don't be ridiculous, solenoid assembly replacement at a dealer should be around $500.

Whoops. Solenoid only should be close to $1000. The part from a dealer is going to be $400 and another $100 in fluid - $500 is too low.

Whoops. Solenoid only should be close to $1000. The part from a dealer is going to be $400 and another $100 in fluid - $500 is too low.

I had it done by the dealer on my 04. The total bill was in the $700s, but they did some other work at the same time. I'll have to look up the bill to see how much of it the transmission work was.

I had it done by the dealer on my 04. The total bill was in the $700s, but they did some other work at the same time. I'll have to look up the bill to see how much of it the transmission work was.

How has the tranny held up since getting the solenoid replaced?

Here recently I've been noticing my transmission problems have grown slightly, I've noticed a harsher engagement going into reverse and at highway speeds it's almost like there is a loss of power. Anyways does anyone have a ballpark estimate for ford to replace the solenoid if that's what it even is?

Curious, what year do you have and how many miles?

How has the tranny held up since getting the solenoid replaced?

No problems at all. That was about 40K miles ago, in 2009.

The cost was $859, so my memory was off on that. Still, less than 1K, and it did include a full flush and filter change.

No problems at all. That was about 40K miles ago, in 2009.

The cost was $859, so my memory was off on that. Still, less than 1K, and it did include a full flush and filter change.

Asking because when i initially went to the dealer with my tranny problems i mentioned the solenoid. They suggested with the amount of miles i had that replacing just the solenoid didnt make much sense. I agreed. I would have been pissed if i replaced the solenoid at $800 and the tranny failed anyway later on. When i finally got it swapped they said the "case" was trashed. They showed me the old unit but i didnt know what i was looking at. I have heard if you continue to drive with a bad solenoid other damage can occur. Also read somewhere there is a steel pin that can ruin the aluminum case. Whatever the case i am happy with the decision i made.

I have a 2003 with 56,000 miles. I'm starting to think it's not the solenoid because the hard shift from reverse happens only ever so often. Maybe I need to just reset it and get a fluid flush. Does the method of resetting the transmission really work that's on here?

Do you use your parking brake? With that mileage, I would be pissed if the solenoid was done. When parking, go into N first, apply the parking brake, then go into P. See if that helps with the harsh reverse engagements.

I have a 2003 with 56,000 miles. I'm starting to think it's not the solenoid because the hard shift from reverse happens only ever so often. Maybe I need to just reset it and get a fluid flush. Does the method of resetting the transmission really work that's on here?

Yes, the method posted by Frogman works.

Yes, the method posted by Frogman works.[/QUOTE]

+1 I just tried it out and it works. My car is a lot more responsive now and the SST has far less delay.

I'm getting my pack replaced soon too. Have a meticulous transmission mechanic that works around here that is highly sought after and a good bit below dealer. Have to get the valve body worked on because I am having line sticking issues and 2-3 flare ups. Got all the parts just need to set up an appt.

Members online

Back