Transmission Problem

Looks like mine was a failed effort also. Its not the solenoid pack. Its doing the exact same thing. Its also not shifting quickly anymore, but I think I don't have enough fluid in there. Looks like I need a new transmission as well.
I can shift SST 1-5 up and down but still no reverse. So I still drive it just easy on the trans. I'll be getting mines swapped out in 2 weeks

Also, on my previous comments about hating Ford engineers, I don't really think that way. I was just wore out. I am an engineer, and I do understand the constraints that engineers are forced to deal with. I guess I wish that working on cars was a little easier.

20190203_094923.jpg

Looks like mine was a failed effort also. Its not the solenoid pack. Its doing the exact same thing. Its also not shifting quickly anymore, but I think I don't have enough fluid in there. Looks like I need a new transmission as well.
You need to ensure the correct amount of fluid is in there or it won't work correct. Make sure the fluid is good before giving up on it. Also be sure to look with a code reader to see if any new codes.

10-4 Dale. AutoZone told me I needed 5 quarts, but when I checked the level at the bottom drain, none came out, so I know it needs more.

There is a vent tube that runs from the body of the trans to the bellhousing. Fluid dripping from there is normal if overfilled. It would stop after a couple days of driving.

If it's not too late and toast... The trans might need a band adjustment. There are a few threads on here that cover that.

Here's one:
Band adjustment

There is a vent tube that runs from the body of the trans to the bellhousing. Fluid dripping from there is normal if overfilled. It would stop after a couple days of driving.

If it's not too late and toast... The trans might need a band adjustment. There are a few threads on here that cover that.

Here's one:
Band adjustment
Yeah it stopped leaking. You think the band adjustment will help my reverse?

10-4 Dale. AutoZone told me I needed 5 quarts, but when I checked the level at the bottom drain, none cl
Yeah it stopped leaking. You think the band adjustment will help my reverse?
If you did not check out the valve body there is always the possibility that the reverse spring in it is binded or broken that is why when I replaced my solenoid pack I replaced both that and the valve body. These cars has issues with both of them parts in general so I felt it was better to replace all that together.

Maybe. Joe would know better. I don't have time to look at the shop manuals... And so far I have been blessed, ( so far ), with a well functioning transmission at 213k. It could also need the valve body rebuilt. I know there was a TSB for the separator plate in the valve body a number of years ago... And an issue with broken springs.

I did a quick search on the 5r55s and found this.

[5R55S] No Reverse | Can't Take Off In 'D'

It's for the Exploder... But basically the same trans.

Maybe. Joe would know better. I don't have time to look at the shop manuals... And so far I have been blessed, ( so far ), with a well functioning transmission at 213k. It could also need the valve body rebuilt. I know there was a TSB for the separator plate in the valve body a number of years ago... And an issue with broken springs.

I also replaced the separator plate on mine but the old one looked ok but I also had heard they were known to have issues. So I went with the better safe than sorry method as I did not want to have more issues down the road.

If you did not check out the valve body there is always the possibility that the reverse spring in it is binded or broken that is why when I replaced my solenoid pack I replaced both that and the valve body. These cars has issues with both of them parts in general so I felt it was better to replace all that together.

I'd say that was a wise choice Dale. I always preach, ." While you're in there you might as well... "

I hate going back in the same place twice to fix something else. Yeah it's more money and time up front... But saves time and headaches in the long run.

Gotta go... have shocks and O2 sensors to do on my truck... Along with a " backyard " toe adjustment on the front end. Then it's cleanup time on a week's worth of scattered tools. Working 6 days a week for a year has left me with little spare time.

I replaced both and also moved the metal looking thing and it moved and sprung back into place. All the bands from what I see when I dropped the valve body looked good. Nothing was on the magnetic no shaving or everything

I just read this and he did the seafoam transmission and worked

It should take roughly 8 - 9 quarts... Possibly more if you blew out the aux cooler with compressed air.
So as I pump in the new transmission oil the car has to be on right? And once it starts to come out then that means it's at right level Correct me if I'm wrong please lol

Yes once it starts dripping from that hole it at maximum capacity
Thanks bro I did it yesterday and it's riding smoothly now way better All it needed was 1 quart but for some reason it still says check transmission while I drive it and the letter E keeps popping up but the car shifts smoothly by any chance do you know what that could be I read in one article it could be a computer of some sort ???

should be a bubble gage on the transmission cooler or something that's way over confident about a sealed deal ...thinking of pinching off one of the hoses and pumping through the other like how to on my old ford ..he ha ….. dam I took it to amco to have them check the level and possibly to do a power flush told me they cant warranty a power flush or any work on the tranny because the fluid looked somewhat burnt but I think i may have gotten the slight of hand he didn't listen to my question about getting the car running to test the manager came out and said they cant warranty the tranny flush im thinking that someone isn't working out all the vehicle specifics possibility that the level isn't right

Only if you have a hex drive to square drive adapter... and the proper socket.

The bolt for that connector is sunk down in the middle of the plug.

Members online

Back