Transmission Problem no auto no reverse, goes fine in Manual SST

... If mine is just the regular shift will the slap shift hook right up and work fine or what would I need to do?

Doesn't matter. The transmission is the same either way. If you want SST, then you have to change the shifter, and you should have the PCM reprogrammed.

There may be some hyperactive conclusion jumping going on here. Some amount of small metal flakes in a high mileage transmission is not abnormal. Your problem could be minor to serious. It could even be the PCM and not the transmission. At least pull the servo caps off and see if the servos and bores are okay or not.

You're wrong.
Gen I = N
Gen II = S
I knew first gen was N. Second gen I new it was one of the others,lol. Thanks for the correction
Doesn't matter. The transmission is the same either way. If you want SST, then you have to change the shifter, and you should have the PCM reprogrammed.

There may be some hyperactive conclusion jumping going on here. Some amount of small metal flakes in a high mileage transmission is not abnormal. Your problem could be minor to serious. It could even be the PCM and not the transmission. At least pull the servo caps off and see if the servos and bores are okay or not.
In my case its a "LOT" of metal shavings!!!

I wouldn't think that it would be a hard trans part failure if it works in SST but not autoshift. Does it shift OK if you manually shift it fast at slow speeds? If so it's almost certainly not a hard part failure. But I could be lying...

I'm sure mine isn't a hard part. But getting another trans is cheaper than even just getting a cylinder pack. I'm gonna keep the one I pull for spare parts if ever needed

I can tell you this, pack a lunch if you want to get into the LS trans. I replaced the solenoid pack on mine and had to cut a hole in the trans tunnel to get the wiring harness off. Turned out to be a bad PCM (a possibility also suggested by JoeGR above) that was a helluva lot easier to get to. Not to mention, the solenoid pack (if I recall correctly) was around 350 bucks as opposed to the 161 bucks the PCM repair cost. I'm a HUGE fan of, when the exact problem isn't known, to replace/repair the cheapest, easiest part to get at first. Nothing gets your goat like spending days and hundreds to fix a problem when it was a 3 dollar part on top of the engine that caused the issue. And yes, I have seen this before, knew a guy with a 66 Mustang that was overheating. He replaced the ENTIRE cooling system, one piece at a time over the course of 3 months, just to find out that he had a bad radiator cap. Had he gone the cheapest/easiest route to find the problem, he'd have fixed it first go.

In my case with the LS trans, didn't know the PCM was a possibility until after I did the solenoid pack.

Like I said. The amount of metal in the pan for me there is no way its any good. I can get a good used trans under $100. PCM I can get for under $20

Computer never failed. The transmission did.

I'm pretty sure he was asking Telco, not you. I'm sure he will chime in, but I think his symptoms were: " Mine has the hard shift on 1-2, and on the 2-3 it shifts up, then back, then back again within 2 seconds, feeling like it's slipping while it's doing it. Fluid is solid though. Mine also had a hard shift into reverse, along with hard shifting in other gears."

Also, to be clear the PCM doesn't fail completely, or do anything to indicate that the problem is in the PCM, it just fails to correctly control the transmission (in this case).

I'm pretty sure he was asking Telco, not you. I'm sure he will chime in, but I think his symptoms were: " Mine has the hard shift on 1-2, and on the 2-3 it shifts up, then back, then back again within 2 seconds, feeling like it's slipping while it's doing it. Fluid is solid though. Mine also had a hard shift into reverse, along with hard shifting in other gears."

Also, to be clear the PCM doesn't fail completely, or do anything to indicate that the problem is in the PCM, it just fails to correctly control the transmission (in this case).

Yep. I had no check engine lights or anything, just a trans that shifted horribly and it started with shifts being a bit more firm than you'd expect with a luxury car. Initially I thought a previous owner might have had the shift pressure upped or had a shift kit in it, but it got worse over time until one day it went from harsh shifts to the shift pattern Joe specified. The problem was fixed when the PCM was sent in, and the repair shop said the trans control circuits were shot. They didn't specify exactly what was replaced, just that they fixed it. It shifts perfectly now.

Is the PCM the same from 01-02? And does it matter if one has the SST and the other not?

BTW, if you are thinking about swapping PCMs, your car won't start until you tow it to a dealer to have the new/used PCM, cluster, and your keys all married together. (Unless you have a scan tool that can do this.)

Just wondering if any one has figured anything out on the Lincoln ls transmission that won't shift automatically? Just put a new solenoid pack in mine and it didn't fix the problem. Now I'm getting ready to pull the whole trans out. I want to make sure before I do a whole bunch of unneeded work

It seems at this point that worn out servo bore(s) and faulty PCM would be good guesses at it. If you can afford some down time, starting with PCM diagnosis is probably the lowest cost next step.

Members online

No members online now.
Back