transmission overheating

cableguynoe

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
Sorry I haven't searched before asking this, but im on the side of the road right now waiting for a tow truck.

I was driving on the freeway and felt the transmission acting up... the shifting was real rough. After a little while I got a "transmission overheating" message.
So I pulled over and called a tow truck. I'm about an hour from home, so I don't want to risk making the problem worse.

I turned the car back on after a few minutes and drove a bit, and I think it felt fine. But I still don't want to risk it.

Any ideas on what the problem could be? Is this a common problem?

I think that it usually means that something is slipping in the transmission and generating a lot of extra heat. If so, I would suspect that the transmission is toast now.
On the other hand, it could be as simple as a faulty temperature sensor.

easy way to tell is climb under and check the fluid... if it heated up enough to slip the bands, then the fluid should look / smell pretty burnt... if so, most likely toast... sorry to hear this buddy. hope its ok.......

OK, few questions.

First , I have never checked the tranny fluid. I know there is no dipstick. Is this something I can do easily?
Is there a thread with instructions somewhere I searched but didn't find one.

Assuming I cant, I'm going to take it somewhere to get checked out.
I'm guessing there's really no minors repairs on transmission. I'm guessing any repairs go over 1k with labor since they have to remove the transmission.
Is this correct?

If so, I found a rebuilt transmission on craigslist for $1400 installed.
Here is the ad: http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/pts/2737632515.html

Does this seem like a good option for $1400 rather than trying to repair my transmission? I talked to this guy on the phone and he seems legit. Has a shop.
Thoughts?

OK, few questions.

First , I have never checked the tranny fluid. I know there is no dipstick. Is this something I can do easily?
Is there a thread with instructions somewhere I searched but didn't find one.

There's a drain plug on the pan. Drain a little fluid out and see what it looks like. Don't let much out, it's a pain to refill. If you take just the inner plug out, then only a little should dribble out.

http://deneau.info/ls/s6x~us~en~file=s6x71025.htm~gen~ref.htm

There are many repairs that are lower cost and don't require the transmission to come out. I fear that you may be past those already. Did you notice if the engine RPMs were higher than normal for the speeds you were traveling?

Did you notice if the engine RPMs were higher than normal for the speeds you were traveling?

Didn't seem like it. But I took it for a spin yesterday. Seems it's not going into 5th gear at all. Also, felt rough most of the time between first and second. couldn't really tell which, since in manual mode, it starts at 2nd.
3rd and 4th gear are smooth. Never overheated this time.

Can you confirm if the tranny I posted in the ad above is correct for my vehicle?
It claims to fit v6 and v8 vehicles... but i remember seeing something about those 2 being different. Maybe I'm mistaken. Can someone confirm this?

If it's really a 1st Gen transmission (5R55N), it'll work (assuming it's in working condition ;) ). The only slushbox incompatibility is between 1st Gen ('00-'02; 5R55N) and 2nd Gen ('03-'06; 5R55S); within the generations the V6es and V8s use the same transmissions.

Didn't seem like it. But I took it for a spin yesterday. Seems it's not going into 5th gear at all. Also, felt rough most of the time between first and second. couldn't really tell which, since in manual mode, it starts at 2nd.
3rd and 4th gear are smooth. Never overheated this time.

From the description, sounds like the OD band is fried. Continued driving could damage the shell (not easily sourced).
$1,400 installed isn't bad, but certainly not a great price. Would they rebuild yours or swap out?

From the description, sounds like the OD band is fried. Continued driving could damage the shell (not easily sourced).
$1,400 installed isn't bad, but certainly not a great price. Would they rebuild yours or swap out?

Swap. Sounds great since a different place wanted 2400 to rebuild my tranny.

You should get a new converter and flush out the cooler really - really - well.
Might want to watch them when they fill the tranny. It's a somewhat complicated procedure on this one since the fill is on the side of the tailhousing. Then check again after you're home.

You should get a new converter and flush out the cooler really - really - well.
Might want to watch them when they fill the tranny. It's a somewhat complicated procedure on this one since the fill is on the side of the tailhousing. Then check again after you're home.

The factory service manual recommends that an external filter be installed on the cooling line (in addition to flushing) when contamination due to transmission failure is suspected.

Members online

Back