Transmission or CV?

Geerhed

LVC Member
Reaction score
I have a new-to-me 94 Continental, 87,000 miles, with a new engine 16K ago.
Starting off under low to medium acceleration (haven't tried it with more than moderate acceleration), I get a bit of a slip, but a mild shudder with it, that goes away when I let off the gas. I can then accelerate gently. It's not a slip like it's in neutral, but like gears that aren't fully engaged (but without the gnashing sound).
Feels like gears slipping. So far, it's only happened turning left, or when starting on a hill or even mild incline.
It's not when first starting, but after rolling a few feet (5 - 30 feet), and only upon starting from a stop (as in at an intersection).
Once rolling, you can floor it and the transmission pulls and shifts normally.
Very smooth shifts at speed, and otherwise stellar operation.
Transmission fluid looks good, although it may be slightly low.

This car has sat for much of its life, and has had less than 3,000 miles put on it since Februrary of this year.

My list of possible causes:
Low fluid
Filter change needed
Fluid Flush needed
Left CV slipping under load (is this possible?)
Transmission going bad

I only paid $500 for the car, so I'm not going to drop $2500 into it for a tranny rebuild. Anyone have any thoughts or opinions?

Thanks;
Geerhed

I had the same shudder experience and also could make it go away by gently letting off the accelerator then pressing forward slowly. I changed the fluid and filter, but the problem got worse. The problem was my AX4N transmission. After having it replaced, the problem was solved.

I'd say bands are going south on ya man. Just enjoy the car as long as ya can...(trans is on it's way out ;))

Hmmm.. it doesn't do it turning right. I took off yesterday under rather hard acceleration turning right, and no slip whatsoever.

I found a transmission service manual on eBay. We'll see what some actual troubleshooting yields.

Mine does it too. also, mine sat for 2 1/2 years that I know of. I am figuring that its torque converter shudder, or in the tranny itself. I am gonna deal with it, and not spend any $ on mine (other than a fluid/filter change, and maybe a bottle of lucas trans stuff).

I have heard some people have good luck with the lucas products, I havn't tried them yet, so I am still neutral.

Well, there was a third option I hadn't thought of. When I purchased the car, I checked the fluids (as I should have) - oil was nice and clear, transmission fluid was the proper color and didn't smell burned.
However, I didn't read the fine print on the tranny dipstick: "check when hot, car idling, transmission in park"
So, when I was getting gas today, I decided to check my fluids (I've had a little issue with the oil gauge showing low, then normal). I pulled the tranny dipstick, cleaned it off, and then checked the level. There was no fluid showing on the dipstick. None.
The transmission took 1.5 qts. before the fluid was up to the proper level - at the hash marks on the dipstick.
I don't know if this was the cure, but it didn't slip/shudder at all on the way home or this evening driving to my daughter's school concert. I hope no damage was done to the tranny due to low fluid. I know that an old lady owned the car before me, and I've babied it since I got it (only about 300 miles or so), so... I'll keep my fingers crossed.

I used to have the same issue with 1999 Windstar - same transaxle. I dropped the tranny pan and changed the filter and put in 7 l of Mobil 1 ATF. This fixed it right up. The Mobil 1 ATF also dropped my rpm at highway speed by 200 rpm.

Brad.
1997 Continental
207,000 km's

Members online

No members online now.
Back