Transmission/OD Servo Issue (?)

M4rk

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
So this is me in SST, going into 2nd, followed by a jerk and the nasty noise. Car returned to normal after a restart. My research indicates I have worn out my OD servo bore, which is a common issue on 5R55 transmissions.

OD Servo Bore Problem - YouTube

Getting a full fluid exchange as soon as I can. In the meantime, ideas/opinions?

For those in the GTA area, know of any reputable transmissions shops with a lot of experience with 5R55 units?

Hmmm, interesting, almost hard to make out but it's there.
hope it all works out for ya M4rk.

Turn up the volume to hear the noise.. almost sounds like grinding! It "spooled" down as the car slowed down.

Thanks!

Yeah, I hear it alright, sounds expensive.

BTW:
I once read it was impossible to get the SST to shift down to 1st and display 1st on the gear selector.
Doesn't appear to be a problem for me for some reason. I can get SST into 1st just no need for it.

its not impossible, it just won't do it at a stop. floor it and it will 2-1 downshift and then let you select 1st until you stop again.

Yeah, I hear it alright, sounds expensive.

BTW:
I once read it was impossible to get the SST to shift down to 1st and display 1st on the gear selector.
Doesn't appear to be a problem for me for some reason. I can get SST into 1st just no need for it.

Canadian calibrations may be different.

BTW:

It's difficult to get to 1st on gen I. Gen II lets you do it with no conditions. Is your LS 2003+?

After talking to someone who sells servo bore fix kits, he believes the noise I was hearing as per the video isn't related to a worn bore. Uh oh..

How many times has this happened?
It kind of sounds like torque converter stutter, but it wouldn't be consistent at just the 2nd gear shift. Torque converter stutter can often be fixed by a fluid exchange.

How many times has this happened?
It kind of sounds like torque converter stutter, but it wouldn't be consistent at just the 2nd gear shift. Torque converter stutter can often be fixed by a fluid exchange.

Twice within the span of a few minutes. Once when taking off from a light right as the transmission shifted into second (I think it actually went went into second but I can't be sure), and then again on the parking lot I re-created it in SST 2nd (video).

Restarted car and it was fine.

Well, my pan doesn't look very good:

gopr1555mp4snapshot0013.jpg

no it doesn't

IIRC first gear on demand is achievable with SCT programming

Thanks Edgar!

I was under the impression these pans were supposed to be aluminum? I wonder if somehow the rust was able to penetrate into the inside, and now chunks of that could be floating around.

Thanks Edgar!

I was under the impression these pans were supposed to be aluminum? I wonder if somehow the rust was able to penetrate into the inside, and now chunks of that could be floating around.

The magnet(s) wouldn't stick to aluminum.

M4rk, how are you making out, big troubles ? flushed ?

Good luck with everything......I will say a flush and filter change in mine made a world of difference......my "slam" to reverse has went away, my hang up from 3rd to 4th has almost gone away. I need to take it too the dealer to have the computer checked out for software....they quoted me 75 bucks. I'm way out of my league with auto trannys...but why do they have the servos in the thing?

the servos apply the different clutch bands. applying different bands is part of changing gears.

I didn't mean the servos.....I ment to say solenoids.....sorry..been a long day.

They have solenoids in there so that the shifting can be computer controlled. Just like replacing carburetors with computer controlled fuel injection, replacing mechanical transmission controls with electronic ones offers a lot of performance improvements (they fell a bit short on the LS though).

Members online

No members online now.
Back