Transmission Issues

I am an amateur mechanic at best, but I would be willing to give the rebuild a shot. I

Then you would quickly be in over your head. Sorry.

Just the specialty tools needed to rebuild it will probably cost $500... if not more.

Heck... I'll admit it. Anymore I'd probably be in over my head.

As a "best suggestion" ... find a local "Vo-tech" high school or college that teaches auto repair.

They may be willing to do the work.

Just the specialty tools needed to rebuild it will probably cost $500... if not more.

As a "best suggestion" ... find a local "Vo-tech" high school or college that teaches auto repair.

I will see if there are any in my area and continue to update as the situation progresses.

Does it also stall when shifting to Reverse from Park or Neutral? How old is the battery?

-Rod

Forget rebuilding it yourself. With those miles the servo bores are worn at this point. I would ONLY get a re manufactured transmission from somebody that understands what this transmission needs. Be sure they sleeve the bores and understand why and what that is about BEFORE you let them do anything.

I also would forget getting a used unit. There is a lot of work and cost in swapping the transmission and refilling it with with fluid. You DO NOT want to go thru that more than once!!! Since this is a VERY common transmission there is no reason to get a used one.

All the problems of the 5R55N have long since been figured out so take advantage of that knowledge when you replace yours.

Forget rebuilding it yourself. With those miles the servo bores are worn at this point. I would ONLY get a re manufactured transmission from somebody that understands what this transmission needs. Be sure they sleeve the bores and understand why and what that is about BEFORE you let them do anything.

I also would forget getting a used unit. There is a lot of work and cost in swapping the transmission and refilling it with with fluid. You DO NOT want to go thru that more than once!!! Since this is a VERY common transmission there is no reason to get a used one.

All the problems of the 5R55N have long since been figured out so take advantage of that knowledge when you replace yours.
Thank you for the advice. I have decided to have the shop go ahead with the rebuild and one of the first things they mentioned was working on the servo bores.

Thank you for the advice. I have decided to have the shop go ahead with the rebuild and one of the first things they mentioned was working on the servo bores.
Good choice ...as long as they use all the upgraded parts like my Mechanic did you'll be golden...make sure they replace the torque converter

I was informed by the shop that, the transmission was for sure bad so they went ahead and rebuilt it. However, it is still stalling while in drive as the rpms drop, which they seem to think may be due to a vacuum leak? Are there any other issues that may result in the RPMs dropping while in drive?

When warmed up... what rpm does the engine normally idle at?
I have seen it ide at around 1,000rpm so I checked it and found a cracked vacuum line, which I placed firmly against where it was supposed to connect to and it now will idle at 750RPM. I have a replacement for the line which I can put on once I get it back.

Hello I currently own a 2002 Lincoln LS V8 and I can not get it to shift into drive. It will start up, rev up, and shift into park, but when I shift into drive the car immediately stalls. The oil pressure light, battery light, and check engine light comes on when it stalls. The code that comes up is a P0113 but I have tried replacing the Idle air temperature sensor to no avail. I have recently replaced the clock spring and the driver side center wheel hub. It has hesitated when shifting between park and drive in the past and the shop quoted me $2,500 for a rebuild but could not explain why it needs to be rebuilt. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Hey man, new to the forum so just trying to pitch in where I can and this thread caught my attention for a number of reasons. My son drives my old 2002 Lincoln LS with the V8 as well, it used to be my daily driver. Anyways, the transmission started shuddering/ popping out of gear and eventually went out on me. I replaced it though because the engine along with the rest of the vehicle was in great shape and I wanted it to be the first car for my son. I just wanted to let you know that you can save some money if you get a rebuilt transmission from these guys, Remanufactured & Rebuilt 2002 Lincoln LS Transmissions. (It was only about 2k when I bought it) or you can get a used one for about 1000. I think they still have free shipping too. 2500 for a rebuild isn't astronomical in price but a lot of times those shops will shortcut on the parts and whatnot. I ordered my trans from there about a year and a half ago and it's been shifting smoothly since the install. Hope this helps

Looking for one myself, $2,161 for Gen2 with a 5yr/unlimited mile transferrable warranty sounds great.

What is the avg install price on these cars?
Can't comment on what the average is as I'm only one owner but if I remember correctly it was around 500-600$ for me. Not sure if that is expensive or cheap to be completely honest, lol.

Can't comment on what the average is as I'm only one owner but if I remember correctly it was around 500-600$ for me. Not sure if that is expensive or cheap to be completely honest, lol.
Sounds pretty cheap to me, i had a rebuilt one put in an S10 blazer 15 years ago and it was 800 to install, 1800 to rebuild.

Members online

Back