Transmission Issues

DomiDotso1

LVC Member
Reaction score
Hello I currently own a 2002 Lincoln LS V8 and I can not get it to shift into drive. It will start up, rev up, and shift into park, but when I shift into drive the car immediately stalls. The oil pressure light, battery light, and check engine light comes on when it stalls. The code that comes up is a P0113 but I have tried replacing the Idle air temperature sensor to no avail. I have recently replaced the clock spring and the driver side center wheel hub. It has hesitated when shifting between park and drive in the past and the shop quoted me $2,500 for a rebuild but could not explain why it needs to be rebuilt. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Could be the infamous 5R55 servo bore crap-out. Just Google "5R55 transmission problems" or "5R55 shifting problems". Would be faster and easier to give you an overall idea of what to possibly expect. Good luck, whatever you choose

The lights coming on after stalling is normal... since the engine isn't running. Are you saying that you replaced the IAT... or couldn't? You may have a large vacuum leak somewhere. What rpm is the engine idling at when running? What happens if you put the shifter in neutral? Does the car stay running... or does it stall?

The lights coming on after stalling is normal... since the engine isn't running. Are you saying that you replaced the IAT... or couldn't? You may have a large vacuum leak somewhere. What rpm is the engine idling at when running? What happens if you put the shifter in neutral? Does the car stay running... or does it stall?
I replaced the IAT but it did not stop the car from stalling. It idles around the 750 rpm range and when I shift into neutral it will continue to run.

Could be the infamous 5R55 servo bore crap-out. Just Google "5R55 transmission problems" or "5R55 shifting problems". Would be faster and easier to give you an overall idea of what to possibly expect. Good luck, whatever you choose
I will be sure to look into it! Thank you!

Low or out of transmission fluid?
I have not been able to check the sight glass, I am currently a student and do not have a jack to get it high enough and keep it level so I figured my best bet would be to take it to the shop.

I have not been able to check the sight glass, I am currently a student and do not have a jack to get it high enough and keep it level so I figured my best bet would be to take it to the shop.
There's no sight glass. You have to take the inner plug out and see if a slight amount of fluid dribbles out.

I will be sure to check it out, but I will have to get it towed away from the shop. If there is sufficient fluid, what would the next step be?
There's no sight glass. You have to take the inner plug out and see if a slight amount of fluid dribb

There's no sight glass. You have to take the inner plug out and see if a slight amount of fluid dribbles out.

And the inner plug may be stuck in there due to 20.years of Michigan winters.

I takes a male torx socket... and the inner plug strips out easily if stuck.

I will be sure to check it out, but I will have to get it towed away from the shop. If there is sufficient fluid, what would the next step be?
If there is a sufficient amount of Mercon V Transmission fluid in your pan, unfortunately you'll need to bring the car to a reputable transmission mechanic and get a quote for a rebuild
Note: If you decide to rebuild the Transmission make sure you also replace the Torque converter

If there is a sufficient amount of Mercon V Transmission fluid in your pan, unfortunately you'll need to bring the car to a reputable transmission mechanic and get a quote for a rebuild
Note: If you decide to rebuild the Transmission make sure you also replace the Torque converter
I was wondering if it could be a pcm issue rather than a trans? Also, if I were to purchase a used transmission could I swap the two or would it be better to do the rebuild?

And the inner plug may be stuck in there due to 20.years of Michigan winters.

I takes a male torx socket... and the inner plug strips out easily if stuck.
I'll be sure to check into it, how would I go about filling it if it is low? Also, is it possible it's an electrical issue since shifting into neutral and park works fine?

This is the fill adapter. It screws into where the torx plug goes. You would then/also need several quarts of Mercron V... and a hand pump that screws onto the top of the bottles of transmission fluid.

I would first suggest... that if you get the inner torx plug loose... see what color the transmission fluid is.

If none comes out... then pull the drain plug and see if any comes out.

If none comes out... or its very dark (instead of red)... your transmission is most likely toast.

This is the fill adapter. It screws into where the torx plug goes. You would then/also need several quarts of Mercron V... and a hand pump that screws onto the top of the bottles of transmission fluid.

I would first suggest... that if you get the inner torx plug loose... see what color the transmission fluid is.

If none comes out... then pull the drain plug and see if any comes out.

If none comes out... or its very dark (instead of red)... your transmission is most likely toast.
Would it be better to rebuild it or swap it with a new/used one? Also, is there any information on how to go about the swap?

Last I knew/checked... Ford dealers were able to get remanufactured transmissions from Ford Parts.

They were right around $3k and had a 3 year/36k mile warranty.

If you go that route the Ford dealer you order from will need your VIN number (found near the upper drivers door hinge).

Then there's the labor to remove and replace the transmission. So you will have close $5k into the car when you are done.

The transmission shop you mentioned has a reasonable price... if they know whatvthey are doing... and do it right.

And to answer your other question. A number of people on this forum over the years have installled used transmissions... only to find out they were bad... or went bad in 6 months to a year.

And to answer your other question. A number of people on this forum over the years have installled used transmissions... only to find out they were bad... or went bad in 6 months to a year
Would it be better to get a remanufactured trans or do the rebuild?

Depends on what you want to pay... and which warranty you want. (assuming the independent shop will give you a warranty.

Something else to think about... if you go the dealer route... you will be "upside down" with the car if you go to sell it. (and you haven't said what the milage is) and won't recoup your $$$.

Depends on what you want to pay... and which warranty you want. (assuming the independent shop will give you a warranty.

Something else to think about... if you go the dealer route... you will be "upside down" with the car if you go to sell it. (and you haven't said what the milage is) and won't recoup your $$$.
The mileage is sitting at 167,000 so I am right in the middle ground of getting rid of it and keeping it. I have been debating on rebuilding it myself but I am not sure how I would go about that.

Have you even checked the fluid yet? You might be jumping the gun.

Do you have any auto repair knowledge? It takes special skills (and tools) to repair/rebuild a transmission.

Lots of moving parts.

I will be getting it towed to a friends garage on Tuesday and the first thing I will be sure to do is check the fluid! I am an amateur mechanic at best, but I would be willing to give the rebuild a shot. I will also see the specifics of why the shop thinks I need a rebuild and post the update.

Members online

No members online now.
Back