Transmission Issues

rgorke

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
I just got P0732, P0735, and P0775 codes on my 04 LS Premium sport. I changed out the solenoid a few months back and everything seemed to be fine until two days ago. In May, I replaced the solenoid, filter and fluid and everything seemed to be fine. From what I have researched (here and on the Google), the pressure issue could be electrical between the solenoid and the PCM. I have even seen suggestions that low fluid could be a culprit.

The main issue I have is not having all the diagnostic tools for the transmission and would be "guessing" at solutions.

I am trying to find a good local independent shop, not All Automatics Must Come Out!

Any other thoughts?

Is it possible that you didn't get the solenoid connector bolt fully tightened down?
Was it a new or rebuilt assembly?

Is it possible that you didn't get the solenoid connector bolt fully tightened down?
Was it a new or rebuilt assembly?
Rebuilt solenoid with a "lifetime" warranty. I got underneath and wiggled the connector a bit last night and that didn't seem to help much.

I think the odds are that the assembly has failed or the connector isn't fully seated.

I put in a rebuilt solenoid about 1 month ago. Failed almost immediately. Installed new. Works perfectly.

I put in a rebuilt solenoid about 1 month ago. Failed almost immediately. Installed new. Works perfectly.
Just heard back and the pan was full of pieces and parts...so a rebuild is in my future...at 244K miles, I was expecting this....

Just heard back and the pan was full of pieces and parts...so a rebuild is in my future...at 244K miles, I was expecting this....

Well, you made it a bit further than my 06 did before rebuild.

Yeah, the guy (who came recommended from a friend who works on heavy equipment) said I probably got 2-3x the life expectancy. From what I have seen, he is probably correct.

I got my car back yesterday afternoon and it runs GREAT!!!! It also seemed to ride a bit smoother and tighter. Not sure if that is a function of going from driving my dad's Ford Ranger or not. Here's a picture of my broken servo.

broken Servo.jpg

did they tell you the cause?
244k miles on a transmission that has a usual lifespan of 150k or less...the main cause of the servo isssue is that the servo Rod is steel and the case is Al. That causes the case hole to wear unevenly and eventually fail. Also, clutches and springs in valve body were worn. All the usual suspects in a 5R55 transmission.

Hey Joe. You've been a great help to me all along. So here's some related questions. Can the 3-4 servo be changed out without removing the trans from my 03 LS V8? Im thinking not, because doesn't the servo bore have to be honed? Also, do those aftermarket servos with the rubber O ring seals work at all? Thanks in advance.

Hey Joe. You've been a great help to me all along. So here's some related questions. Can the 3-4 servo be changed out without removing the trans from my 03 LS V8? Im thinking not, because doesn't the servo bore have to be honed? Also, do those aftermarket servos with the rubber O ring seals work at all? Thanks in advance.

AFAIK, no it can't on the LS. There is not enough room.
I think the servos with the o-rings may be a reasonable option on the Explorer and Ranger, but probable not on the LS. I say this because the o-ring will wear out every so often and you will have to drop the transmission to do it again. On the Explorer/Ranger you can do it with much less effort since the transmission does not have to come out on those.

AFAIK, no it can't on the LS. There is not enough room.
I think the servos with the o-rings may be a reasonable option on the Explorer and Ranger, but probable not on the LS. I say this because the o-ring will wear out every so often and you will have to drop the transmission to do it again. On the Explorer/Ranger you can do it with much less effort since the transmission does not have to come out on those.

Makes total sense. Thanks for sharing your expertise.

Members online

Back