Transmission Issue (2002 V6)

rugger33

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
All,

Problem developed yesterday - car starts fine, feels like it goes into gear (drive, reverse, etc) but feels like it's in neutral and it will not move. There is a beeping in the background that may be totally unrelated but seems to have just developed as well..

Any thoughts are appreciated.

What exactly do you mean by "beeping in the background?" Where is is coming from? Does it sound like any other beep (like the one for door ajar)? Any warning lights on?

There are lots of things that can keep the transmission from engaging, ranging from the simple to the very serious. Does the movement of the shift level itself seem normal? Is it in neutral, or could it still be in park (can you get someone to push the car to see if it easy to move in this state)? Is there any transmission fluid leaked out under the car? (Low fluid level is one thing that can cause your symptom.)

Thanks for the reply..

the beeping in the background seems to originate from the cluster...no lights though...it's like 4 or 5 dings (the usual ding sound from the seatbelt and everything), then it resets and does it again. Will get a better handle on that tonight.

It actually feels like it goes into gear and it behaves as if in neutral though (free rolling) ...will check fluid tomorrow.

Quick follow up...car will drive in low gear...no reverse or drive...fluid? I am guessin I just need to get under there and look.. the alarm is not the standard door bell ring, almost like a warning alarm (a little odd sounding - will record it tomorrow) but there are no warning lights...

If it's five sets of five beeps, it's the warning that you have an SRS problem and your SRS bulb is out.

alright...ran it in low gears for a few minutes, parked it and jacked it up level and checked fluid, a good amount came out (and was still coming out when I reinserted the plub)...guess not the fluid...any other obvious suggestions or relatively inexpensive parts I can throw at it?

alright...ran it in low gears for a few minutes, parked it and jacked it up level and checked fluid, a good amount came out (and was still coming out when I reinserted the plub)...guess not the fluid...any other obvious suggestions or relatively inexpensive parts I can throw at it?

You did have the engine running and the transmission in neutral when you checked the level, right? Also, it's a good idea to cycle through the gears just before you remove the inner plug of the coaxial drain plug.

If not, your transmission is now low of fluid if it wasn't already.

Nope - Engine was running but in PARK...Felt like I was missing a step a ha! What a PITA to check transmission fluid.

I will try it in neutral tomorrow or Monday and see if that makes a difference...you're right though probably will be low now ha!

alright - ran it, checked it and fluid was still coming out (checked in neutral this time). I put a couple of quarts in for what I lost and same thing. I can generally drive it in 3rd, 2nd and 1st though when it get hot and I am shifting through the gears (not moving), it takes a second for it go back into gear. In reverse and d5 it feels almost like the emergency brake is on (it is not)... Any other thoughts?

Solenoid assembly.
Servos.
Valve body.
PCM.

Thanks - I am going to try the solenoid first...I looked on Rockauto, one option is for the part says something about "PWM TCC w/ Inductive Signal" and costs more - do you know what that is about?

Thanks - I am going to try the solenoid first...I looked on Rockauto, one option is for the part says something about "PWM TCC w/ Inductive Signal" and costs more - do you know what that is about?

Why don't you just pay the diagnostic charge and only replace the failed part. In the long run it will be less expensive.

Members online

No members online now.
Back