Transmission Help

No Royal Purple? May I ask, why? I was planning on putting the Pennzoil Mercon V, do you have any other suggestions?

So I forgot to reply but as I'm sitting on the side of the road waiting for a tow truck with coolant all over my engine bay :( I figured I would update. My car was apparently made 12/02 so I'm assuming was was one of the first 2003 models.

... My car was apparently made 12/02 so I'm assuming was was one of the first 2003 models.

I wouldn't make that assumption. Remember that many 03s were sold in the 3rd quarter of 02. Production of the 03s may have started as early as July or August of 02.

So I forgot to reply but as I'm sitting on the side of the road waiting for a tow truck with coolant all over my engine bay :( I figured I would update. My car was apparently made 12/02 so I'm assuming was was one of the first 2003 models.

It's definitely an early 2003. IIRC, '03 production was delayed until September or maybe late August.

***UPDATE*** So I got the solenoid block and valve body in today. I made a couple calls to find out how much the labor would run to do this. I called a couple dealerships first since they would probably be the most experienced with this. I made 2 calls and gave up on that idea. Ford and Lincoln both told me changing those parts or would start off at $3,xxx and said it was there base price for transmission work.

I did a search for respectable transmission shops and found a shop that would charge me $342 for the labor. They come highly recommended so I will have to give the a look

Lmao $3k. $340 is more like it. How much per hour?

Naples, Naples FL ?
I left my wallet in a motel there once, was halfway thru the Glades on an HD when I realized it, backtracking ... got it back though.

GL on the tranny repair.

@Mark I was ready to hang up the second time they told me that. I couldn't believe what I was hearing. I forgot to ask their per hour rate but will ask when I get there.

@BigRig Yes sir, Naples,Fl. Im not too surprised about you getting your wallet back. I had a couple moment when I left money sitting on my passenger chair with the windows down and returning 30mins plus with nothing missing. I now live in Tampa, Fl for school

@Purevil Its no joke when it comes to my car. The only thing stoping me now is the filter but if they can get that locally for me, Im going to get the parts changed.

***UPDATE***

Sorry I haven't posted earlier. So, Monday morning I dropped my car off and got the call later in the afternoon it was done. I picked it up but was hesitant to drive it. Its been 5 days now and my car has been running great with no thought of "Check Transmission" light popping on. Thank you to everyone you dropped their advise and opinions about my issue!

I've decided to add this thread rather than starting a new one.

I’m currently in the process of acquiring parts to fix the p1744 code I had. I purchased the transgo shift kit, new filter, 13 quarts of Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF and I’m ready to purchase the solenoid. Based on this thread, it seems that the P1744 issue doesn’t necessarily destroy the rest of the transmission. Am I correct to assume that (if all goes well) a new solenoid will fix the torque converter lockup issue or should I be looking at other parts? Yes, I realize that if there are more issues with the transmission I will need a complete rebuild, but I would like to purchase the solenoid and the valve body so I can take all this “stuff” to my mechanic so he can open up the trans once and replace it all at once rather than have it sitting there waiting for parts. I have a 2003 Lincoln LS. Is the correct solenoid part number 9L2Z-7G234-AA? (http://www.ebay.com/itm/5R55S-5R55W...:Lincoln|Model:LS&hash=item1e6b5e9dda&vxp=mtr) Also, anyone have a part number or know where I can get a valve body? I’ve done some searching and all I find is remanufactured valve bodies.

Can't help on all the topics... Replacing the valve body is very rare. Some of the springs tend to break which is why Sonax has certain replacement springs. I wouldn't plan on replacing the entire valve body. They're really pretty simple. As long as there hasn't been dirt or grit in the fluid to scratch the bores then it should be fine.

I've decided to add this thread rather than starting a new one.

I’m currently in the process of acquiring parts to fix the p1744 code I had. I purchased the transgo shift kit, new filter, 13 quarts of Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF and I’m ready to purchase the solenoid. Based on this thread, it seems that the P1744 issue doesn’t necessarily destroy the rest of the transmission. Am I correct to assume that (if all goes well) a new solenoid will fix the torque converter lockup issue or should I be looking at other parts? Yes, I realize that if there are more issues with the transmission I will need a complete rebuild, but I would like to purchase the solenoid and the valve body so I can take all this “stuff” to my mechanic so he can open up the trans once and replace it all at once rather than have it sitting there waiting for parts. I have a 2003 Lincoln LS. Is the correct solenoid part number 9L2Z-7G234-AA? (http://www.ebay.com/itm/5R55S-5R55W...:Lincoln|Model:LS&hash=item1e6b5e9dda&vxp=mtr) Also, anyone have a part number or know where I can get a valve body? I’ve done some searching and all I find is remanufactured valve bodies.

Why not the prescribed Mercon V by Ford?

No specific reason - I have just always used Mobil 1 as my motor oil, Mobil 1 synthetic ATF says that it meets/exceeds Ford's requirements for Mercon V, and it's actually easier for me to get (I live 5 minutes from an Autozone that carries Mobil 1 but doesn't carry Motorcraft/Ford Mercon V).

Members online

No members online now.
Back