Transmission Flush?

Dubbed_LS

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
I'm at almost 93,000 miles, and i was told to have the transmission flush done at 90k, whats your guys opinion on the priority. i just havent had time to get around to it. i sometime have slow shifting in D5, or the RPM's will kind of go up a little too high..

suggestions.

also would this increase MPG?!

i had mine done at 110 becuse i found that the shifting wasn't as smooth n i can hear tranny kind of whining every time i floor it so took it 2 ford they did there work n now shifting is way smoother n the accelration picked up quite a bit.

Per the manufacturer, it's not required..at all. That being said, had mine done at the Ford dealer at about 85k. Noticed no difference. (wasnt expecting one). But figured one flush every 90k wont hurt.

In the printed guide, there's no service interval for the tranny fluid. If you look at the online service interval guide on Lincoln's Web site, they say every 30K miles. The guy who ran the 5R55N and 5R55S calibration teams strongly recommends flushing the fluid every 30K miles; given that there aren't many (if any) people who know more about the 5R55 trannies, I'd suggest flushing the fluid every 30K miles...which reminds me that I need to get it done...

2004 LS V6 63K miles

Have the car in the dealership today for what I think is a wheel bearing. The Service manager told me about a transmission service that they do. If I follow this service they warrenty the transmission up to 150K miles. They suggest to have the service done every 30K, it costs $179.

They flush the system by tapping into one of the cooling lines, they refill with tranny fluid and also use an additive by B&M.

I'm planning to keep the car a while so it makes sense to me to have the tranny serviced at some point. Why doesn't the FORD maintanence book suggest a tranny flush?? I don't think it ever mentions it

Also just after I purchased the car new in 2004 I received a recall from FORD. The recall was for them to add an additive to the tranny fluid to prevent a hard shift from park into reverse. Shouldn't the dealership add this exact additive again when doing their service/flush? Or is it basically the B&M additive that they told me about.

your thoughts on any of this are appreciated.

Tony

2004 LS V6 63K miles

Have the car in the dealership today for what I think is a wheel bearing. The Service manager told me about a transmission service that they do. If I follow this service they warrenty the transmission up to 150K miles. They suggest to have the service done every 30K, it costs $179.

They flush the system by tapping into one of the cooling lines, they refill with tranny fluid and also use an additive by B&M.

I'm planning to keep the car a while so it makes sense to me to have the tranny serviced at some point. Why doesn't the FORD maintanence book suggest a tranny flush?? I don't think it ever mentions it

Also just after I purchased the car new in 2004 I received a recall from FORD. The recall was for them to add an additive to the tranny fluid to prevent a hard shift from park into reverse. Shouldn't the dealership add this exact additive again when doing their service/flush? Or is it basically the B&M additive that they told me about.

your thoughts on any of this are appreciated.

Tony

I have a 2003 Lincoln LS with the V8. My tranny "bangs" sometimes when I go from drive into reverse or park into reverse. Is there anytihng I can do to remedy this?? What kind of additive did they put in the tranny fluid? Was that only for 2004's?

I'm not sure if it applies to earlier years or V8 vs. V6 for that matter. I would suggest that you contact the dealer and ask them about the recall. Like I said I received it at the end of 2004.

Good Luck!

Park to reverse? Are you sure you dont mean reverse to park? If so, its common. Go from reverse, to drive..and then park. smooths it out.

The printed guide doesn't mention it, but if you look on Lincoln's Web site, it does show a 30K service interval for the tranny fluid. I found it by going through Lincoln's Owners Web site, but they've changed the page since I last visited, so I don't have the URL handy. You can get there by clicking on the OWNERS link at the top of the Lincoln site ( http://www.lincoln.com/ ).

As noted above, the guy who ran the calibration team for both the 5R55N and 5R55S transmissions recommends that 30K mile service interval, and he also said he has very strong reservations about using any additives--he said all you need to do is replace the old fluid with new, following the appropriate procedure. That's the main reason I didn't have my Lincoln dealership do the service--they use the BG chemicals.

my car jerks when going from park to drive or reverse. sort of like a thump when putting it from park to reverse.

+1 on the reverse to park, park to reverse trans bang. Mine is more like a violent ping though complete with an all too wrong jerking when switching from park to drive or to reverse. Ideas about this would be helpful.

Ford Dealer charged my around $180 for the transmission flush. The Ford Service DVD states that there is an inline transmission filter (at least for the V8's) that should be replaced as well. Not sure if the Ford dealer did that on mine.

+1 on the reverse to park, park to reverse trans bang. Mine is more like a violent ping though complete with an all too wrong jerking when switching from park to drive or to reverse. Ideas about this would be helpful.

hey my brother told me that all cars have some play with the tranny/drivetrain. he said there could be something that has a little too much play. i will be looking at it with him within the next week. i will let you know.

The Ford Service DVD states that there is an inline transmission filter (at least for the V8's) that should be replaced as well.
They're supposed to cut one of your lines and add in the inline filter when they do the flush. It's not already there to be replaced unless you've had it flushed before. Unless they started coming with them from the factory after '02 (no inline filter on mine), which I doubt.

Members online

No members online now.
Back