transmission flush vs transmission fluid change

jwolsen

LVC Member
Reaction score
Just hit 60000 miles on my 1999 conti, and wanted to know if anyone could address the pluses and minuses of doing the transmission flush, as opposed to just changing the transmission fluid. My understanding is that the flush will remove more fluid, but it doesn't include the filter change. What do you recommend? Thanks, Bill.

Search

If you search the conti forum specifically there are many posts regarding this matter.

I recommend the change and a new filter, perhaps even synthetic for your situation unless you or any previous driver beat the heck out of her. In which case thats a tough call because a badly worn and poorly maintained trans can sometimes break when new fluid is added.

But with the low miles and if it wasn't abused, you should be fine having the trans serviced per the Lincoln recommended procedure. I do suggest using a reputable dealer or VERY reputable shop though because of how sensitive our transmissions can be, (Taurus trans with twice the hp/tq), equals little room for mistakes.

BTW I am envious, my 99 has 164000 miles, although it is still the original trans and very few other problems. Good Luck and Good Cruisin!

Just hit 60000 miles on my 1999 conti, and wanted to know if anyone could address the pluses and minuses of doing the transmission flush, as opposed to just changing the transmission fluid. My understanding is that the flush will remove more fluid, but it doesn't include the filter change. What do you recommend? Thanks, Bill.

Probably my worst post, just realized that when in doubt, do both. Should get it flushed and the filter replaced. What a dumbass I can be Doh? Thanks for the kindly viewers that saw, but didn't say antything. Appreciately every bodys saying nothing. I finally figured this one out. Bill.

Thanks Search I appreciate your reply. I really do.

As to the miles, I just got lucky.

May I inquire

How much you paid and when you purchased, even with gas prices high I am actually thinking about buying another silver or black Conti except I want an 02 with "bench" seats ha ha ha... if ya know what I mean.

I purchased it 2-16-2008, with 54500 miles, for $6990.00. I am currently getting 24.5 mpg overall. 30.5 strictly highway. Couldn't be more pleased, can't believe the gas mileage for a v8. Hope this answers your questions.

yep

I am also envious of your mpg, I guess I need to tune her up some more.

I get 19.8 and climbing, slowly, I haven't reset the counter in 6000 miles at least so its pretty accurate...

With gas the price it is, most of my drive is a 25 mile to work and 25 miles back, 90 0/0 all highway. I put cruise at 55mph and drive like a granny. I stay in the far right lane, and don't run into too many problems. What very little intown I do, most is without a/c on. My figures don't reflect most conti's but I am thrilled with what I am getting. This is even using regular gas as opposed to 91 0/0 premium. Just changed cabin filter, air filter, pvc valve, and fuel filter valve, keep front tires at 30 lbs psi and rears at 28 psi.

Everything is factory and I am a 57 year old man driving like my 86 year old mom. Bubble is liable to break at any time, as I have only owned the car for five months so far. But am really loving it.

Transmission flush vs change w filter

:) A mechanic recommended that if you've waited until 60000 miles to do the trans change you should do both methods, as you decided to do, then alternate every 30k miles from one method to the other. That gives you the benefits of both methods - full oil exchange one time which back flushes the filter, then the next time a filter change with the partial fluid change. Makes sense to me.;)

Thank you. That does make sense, and I'll probably do the fluid and filter change next time.

I think the flush is a gimmick required on some transmissions, but not a good idea for anything that wasn't designed for it. Normal service, new filter and make sure the converter gets drained.

Actually the exchange (t-tech) doesn't backflush, that is what used to be done with coolant. It hooks in at the fittings in/out and the vehicle itself exhausts the old fluid as new is drawn in from the machine. Also there aren't transmissions designed for one method of fluid exchange or another. While I agree ideally dropping the pan and changing the fluid then doing a total exchange is ideal. There is no backflusing and its not the 50's where we need to use non-detergent oil so particulate can fill to compensate for lower tolerences in mfg.

Members online

No members online now.
Back