Transmission Fluid

chl2003

New LVC Member
Reaction score
I have a 2001 Lincoln LS. Does anyone know how to check the trany fluid? Also, could I add any bolt ons to this 3.9 L to pep it up a little?

just got done changing tranny fluid so i now know how to check it. On the bottom of the tranny there's a drain plug and in the middle of the plug itself is another, i thinks its a torx screw in the middle that you unscrew and if fluid comes out then it full. Thats the way he checked it at the dealership anyway. Took them 2 hours to put the fluid back in, cause i changed the tranny filter too instead of just a flush.. uuggh talk about a long day..

jdsimons said:
just got done changing tranny fluid so i now know how to check it. On the bottom of the tranny there's a drain plug and in the middle of the plug itself is another, i thinks its a torx screw in the middle that you unscrew and if fluid comes out then it full. Thats the way he checked it at the dealership anyway. Took them 2 hours to put the fluid back in, cause i changed the tranny filter too instead of just a flush.. uuggh talk about a long day..

About how much did that cost you? I just recieved an email from my dealer with a coupon for a tranny fluid change for $125 but it didn't say anything about a new filter which I would want them to change along with the fluid.

change the fluid yourself

Hawk03 said:
About how much did that cost you? I just recieved an email from my dealer with a coupon for a tranny fluid change for $125 but it didn't say anything about a new filter which I would want them to change along with the fluid.

Ya cant change the fluid the system is closed off. The only way to get fluid in is through the drain plug or flush it through the cooler.

eL eS said:
Ya cant change the fluid the system is closed off. The only way to get fluid in is through the drain plug or flush it through the cooler.

really? i was unaware of that, your saying tranny flushes arent included under premium warranty either huh?

Well i used amsoil tranny oil which isn't cheap the oil was 100 the filter i think was 38 dollars from dealer and they was still going to charge 125 bucks but told em their crazy if they think i 'm paying that much so they just knocked off 25 bucks and charged 100 bucks total with taxes and every which was kinda nice of em i guess. lol.. still pretty spendy..but just a tranny flush is 100 bucks.

Isn't there a plug you can pull back by the tail shaft that you can use to add the fluid?

Yep.. Still Took 2 Or More Hours To Pour A Gallon And A Bit More Of Tranny Through It ..lol

oH AND another thing.. I think he may have overfilled the thing, i climbed up into the car while it was still on the car hoist and started it and put it in gear, and try to let it shift up and down don't know if it did.. but anyway he started to unscrew the middle check plug and it was just pouring down , i read somewhere on here that its just suppose to drip. What will happen if it is over full??

**Make note to self**
first trip with car after dealer fixing... TAKE BACK TO DEALER..lol

Members online

No members online now.
Back