Transmission filter

g4rgoyle

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
So i need to change the solenoid packs in my transmission and while i am add it change the filter. So i go to my parts guy he tells me there are to transmission filters one in the pan and an inline filter. Does anyone know of this inline filter for i never heard of one.

theres a filter on the drivers side under the wheel cover and theres another filter in the transmission pan....i too need to get a tranny flush its that time already, plus ive never done it. Does anyone know if flushing the fluid would cause the tranny to start acting up? some people say that its better not to mess around with the tranny fluid.

I was thinking about taking my mark viii to ford dealer to get tranny flush done.@Cobra97lsc never heard of tranny getting messed up after flush. Question is do they replace filter as well or is that extra? If someone could elaborate?

No inline filter, just one inside the tranny. RockAuto has them. Time for a new parts guy (but hey it's Barrie so I'm not surprised he had no idea what he was talking about).

I'll be attempting a DIY full fluid exchange this spring. :D

theres a filter on the drivers side under the wheel cover and theres another filter in the transmission pan....i too need to get a tranny flush its that time already, plus ive never done it. Does anyone know if flushing the fluid would cause the tranny to start acting up? some people say that its better not to mess around with the tranny fluid.

That is an old wives tail, typically when you change the fluid and the tranny starts acting up it means it was already on its way out and can't handle the thicker fluid.

If the fluid is maintained and flushed and replaced as it should be there will not be any issue. But if its slippy or hard ****ting, then the clutch packs need replaced not just the fluid, or other issues, such as solenoids.

There's no factory in-line filter. The filter behind the wheel cover is a fuel filter. Dealers do sometimes install in-line filters if the transmission is replaced due to internal failure. That's why an in-line is available as a service part.

Flushing or replacing the fluid does not cause problems, it prevents them. Here's why so people say that it does.

Someone waits to change the fluid until the transmission acts a little strange.
The have the fluid changed, but it is too late. The transmission fails. They blame the fluid change.

ok thanks thats what i thought have to soleniods in the tran. and going to replace filter while i am at it

I would take it in for a flush after you do the solenoid. Dealer does it right for less than $200 usually. This will also assure that you have the fluid level correct because its tricky to get that right sometimes.

If you want a firmer shift you could also put in the TransGo 55SK shift kit while you are in there also. $70 and it firms up the shifts nicely. All you have to do is remove the valve body while you have the solenoid out. Instructions are easy to read and it takes about 30 minutes to install. http://www.ebay.com/itm/TRANSGO-SK5R55W-5R55S-5R55W-5R55N-SHIFT-KIT-1999-ON-/260169395675?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3c934deddb&vxp=mtr

Members online

No members online now.
Back