Transmission "E" + Overheating = ??

jumpman6235

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
2 weeks ago my car started overheating, mainly when i was using my A/C ...while it did overheat i noticed some jerking in the trans between shifts and just while driving.. I thought this was due to the overheating.

Took it to mechanic (first time using this dumbfu.ck), he says new radiator ($550). Just got car back couple days ago, seemed fine. Now today the overheating is back and now i noticed a harder jerk, i also for the first time saw the infamous "E" flash just for a sec in the instrumental.

Now before i take it back, I want to figure out whats wrong (with your help) so i can tell him how to fix the damn car. I searched and i came up with it either being solenoid or valve body. But i couldnt find anyone with the "E" and the overheating issue. So which one would it most likely be?\

Want to add:
2001 v6
Had all coils/valve cover gaskets/spark plugs replaced about 3 years ago (wow didnt realize it had been that long)

i had an issue with over heating, it was a solenoid on the hydraulic fan, that "e" might be from bad coils , it may not be your transmission

Yes, the problems are either unrelated, or it is a failing coil that couldn't handle the heat. Fix the overheat problem first.

Hey, I just got rid of my overheating headache. My car would overheat after about 15 mins of driving with the ac, or without the ac but when the weather was very hot (~100). In other words when the cooling system was loaded. I noticed the hydraulic fan seemed slaughish.
I took it to the dealer and it turned out to be the hydraulic valve actuator. The part was 150 but the labor was about 450 (diagnostic and r&r of part) so in the end I came out 6 bills under but with a cool car...

Salvi.. do you have the part number for the valve actuator? Im trying to find it on teamfordparts

Thanks! i hope this fixes it

EDIT: The part number isnt coming up.. but it looks like its this?
---------
actuator, ls6, ls8 - power - POWER
Steering - Steering gear & linkage - Actuator
#6 = Actuator
FIP050.gif

---------

Thanks! i hope this fixes it

EDIT: The part number isnt coming up.. but it looks like its this?
---------
actuator, ls6, ls8 - power - POWER
Steering - Steering gear & linkage - Actuator
#6 = Actuator
FIP050.gif

---------

I thought you guys were talking about the fan solenoid valve? The diagram you posted shows the power steering effort control solenoid.

Hey, I just got rid of my overheating headache. My car would overheat after about 15 mins of driving with the ac, or without the ac but when the weather was very hot (~100). In other words when the cooling system was loaded. I noticed the hydraulic fan seemed slaughish.
I took it to the dealer and it turned out to be the hydraulic valve actuator. The part was 150 but the labor was about 450 (diagnostic and r&r of part) so in the end I came out 6 bills under but with a cool car...

i know all about that, same with me, a cheap little solenoid, but like 450 in labor and diagnostics, its ridiculous - but you know what they say .... dealerships are always right haha

I thought you guys were talking about the fan solenoid valve? The diagram you posted shows the power steering effort control solenoid.
According to salvicrashdrive's part number provided, that is the part he is talking about.. i think? but, you may be right. So i am confused now.

i know all about that, same with me, a cheap little solenoid, but like 450 in labor and diagnostics, its ridiculous - but you know what they say .... dealerships are always right haha
Lincoln Jealous, do you have a part number for the fan solenoid?

Hey jumpman, the part number I gave you is what my statement lists as the part replaced by the dealership to fix the problem, which is supposed to be the hydraulic valve actuator. Try going to the dealer just to ask them about the part and to confirm that this is indeed what I'm saying it is.

Members online

No members online now.
Back