Transmission code

Sparkplug51

LVC Member
Reaction score
Hello all. I've recently dropped off my transmission to get rebuilt and they asked for the code it was giving. I totally forgotten it. It is the main one that comes up and gives the hard shifts I'm thinking it's 1703 but I'm not sure. Does anyone have a idea of the code I'm talking about? If so thanks for the reply and God Bless

AFAIK, there isn't any single "main" code that these transmissions set for hard shifting. If you don't know the code(s), it's better to say that than to give them one that you think it was, as that could lead them in the wrong direction. Frankly, if they are going to do a full rebuild, and do it well, I don't know why they would want to know any code(s) or even any symptoms of what it was doing.

Note that "1703" is not a valid OBDII code. There is always a letter preceding the four numeric digits. P1703 would be a powertrain/emission code. In this case, it is Brake Switch out of Self-Test range. It's what you get when you initiate the KOER (Key On Engine Running) self test and then don't press the brake pedal at the correct time. B1703 is a body code, and it would be Seat Driver Recline Forward Switch Circuit Short to Battery. There are other beginning letters that it could be, but I don't see running though all of them.

Ok thanks. It was just a guess on my part. I'll put the battery back in tonight and see if codes are still in. The P1703 was a guess on my part. Thanks again and God Bless

First... you didn't give the milage.

Second... Are you SURE you need a full rebuild???

The 2004 LS is well known to have an issue with the solenoid pack, (which affects shifting).

My solenoid pack got "quirky" at about 130k miles and 8 years of age.

Ask/tell the shop to first replace the solenoid pack and do a fluid and filter change... then see if it still acts up.

This is assuming that the solenoid pack has never been changed yet.

Street price for an OEM solenoid pack is $300-350 last I knew.

Solenoid pack... plus labor, fluid, and filter change... should run you about $500-600. Much cheaper than a full rebuild at a couple grand or more.

The pump locked up and broke the input shaft inside the transmission. It has over 200,000 miles on it so I figured a full rebuild is needed

Members online

No members online now.
Back