Transmision lag

Daniel2

LVC Member
Reaction score
Hi

I have a question for you guys: is it normally when I shift into "D" to wait up to 2-3 secons before the car actually shifts into the Drive mode ? For example each time when I shift into "D" i have to wait up to 2-3 seconds , even from P/N/R ... what could be the problem ?

Thanks

Daniel2 said:
Hi

I have a question for you guys: is it normally when I shift into "D" to wait up to 2-3 secons before the car actually shifts into the Drive mode ? For example each time when I shift into "D" i have to wait up to 2-3 seconds , even from P/N/R ... what could be the problem ?

Thanks

Sounds like your transmission is starting to slip. My friends Saturn (I know completely different car, transmission, etc.) used to do this in reverse. It got so bad, you'd have to wait like 30 - 60 seconds for it to shift into reverse.

A fluid change may help, but I wouldn't just do that as you may open yourself up to other problems (this can be debated). I'd go to a transmission shop that specializes in FWD cars and see if they can pinpoint anything particular.

Most transmission shops have a free initial diagnosis which they may be able to give you some basics ideas on and some rough estimates.

this is bad news for me :( the closer dealer were i can go it's 250 km's away... and i dont have any car tester around here damit

I hate to recommend this without knowing more, but maybe take it to a shop and have the fluid flushed (not just drained) and refilled. There has to be a transmission shop around closer then 250km...

Transmissions will sometimes do this when their low on fluid as well.

Just thought Id throw that in there.

hope i'm not to late to throw in

before you flush anything... look at the fluid, is it low? What is the color, does it smell, are there any particles in it. if regular maintenace has not been done on the tranny there is a risk that a flush could make the prob worse. The standard line is that for every 1,ooo miles over 50,ooo there is a 1% chance that a flush will make a problem worse or make a prob that isn't noticeable or that is noticeable more noticeable... wow... i wrote it and don't know what i said. If you are having a prob always drop the pan and see how the filter looks and how much metal is on the maganet. In my shop if there is a noticable prob abt 3/5 of the time a flush (that is with a machine and not just a drain and fill) actually helps, but 2/5 of the time it makes it worse.
Take a look at what is in the pan and on the mag is it metal? silver or brass color? or does the pan seem to be covered with clutch material. The less metal, esp silver, the less hard part damage and the cheaper the rebuild will be, if it's necessary. Good luck and hope this helps.

Also remenber that checking tranny fluid isn't like oil I believe it has to be up to normal running temp. I.E. at least x amount of miles before it can accuratly be checked. I had mine flushed and refilled with synthetic atf. Just make sure its mercon V compatible. Which at the time in syn was either redline or amsoil, now mobil makes a mercon V compatible as well. Make sure the place you go to changes all the fluid and doesn't just drain the pan.

I had mine done at monroe, most chains do the whole fluid change. Many do a fluid exchnage where they hook into the in/out lines and the trans uses its own power to pull in the new and extract the old into the machine. On some cars you can drop the pan and drain the converter if so inclined and get most of the fluid. Simply dropping the pan is less than a 50% change of fluid. If you want you could drop the pan check for whatnot, change the screen/filter (not much of a filter, more of a screen) if you want. Then do a exchange but you might be using a bit more fluid to do so.

Members online

No members online now.
Back