Trans Shift Problems

Thicktoast

LVC Member
Reaction score
Have had a few issues for a while now.
02' LS 3.9 v8 Sport w/ Select Shift

1) From dead stop, in select shift mode (2nd gear is default starting gear for this car). Punch gas, car downshifts to 1st then immediately to reverse! Then up-shifts out of reverse after alarming the crap out of me!

2) From a dead stop (such as a 4-way stop sign) making a right turn, car takes off normal then about halfway through right turn slips into a "neutral-like" state and then returns in gear sometimes violently if you're on the gas.

My fixes thus far:

Had a reputable shop in Springfield, IL. flush the transmission. I trust they did it correctly.

Do not drive aggressively!!!

Any ideas on how to attack this issue or is this tranny on the end of it's life??

Check engine light on?
Ever get an "E" for the gear indicator?
Does it always say "P" when in park?
Have you tried replacing the solenoid assembly?

No check engine light.
Never seen the E.
Only when I'm parked it says P.
I have not but heard about the solenoid being an issue. Would like to know more about that.

when you say that it shifts into reverse. do you mean that the trans actually bangs into reverse and then bangs back into a forward gear (the drive shaft is actually spinning backwards) or just the dash indicator just flashes a "R" for a second

as for slipping into a neutral like state. I would check to make sure that the fluid is not low. not saying the the trans shop didn't do it right, but its worth ruling it out...

I have not but heard about the solenoid being an issue. Would like to know more about that.

its only about the most common issue with transmissions in the LS.

most of the time, when the solenoid pack goes bad, you get harsh engagements when going from drive to reverse or park.

Trans bangs into reverse, barking the tires in that direction, then bangs into 1st...

Also, shifting is really sloppy... Get some mild hesitation around 2500 rpm in 4th. Can't figure out if it's COP's dieing or shifting solenoid????

Got a good walk through for that solenoid change?

Trans bangs into reverse, barking the tires in that direction, then bangs into 1st...

Es no bueno

so it doesn't do this if you take off like normal? just when punching the gas?

sorry, at this point, I do not know enough about the internal mysteries of the modern day auto trans to give any further advice...

shifting is really sloppy... Get some mild hesitation around 2500 rpm in 4th. Can't figure out if it's COP's dieing or shifting solenoid????

that does sounds like classic marginal COP failure

Sorry for raising an old post, but I'm having similar issues with my '02 LSE V8. I searched, but this problem is fairly unique. I made a post on it in 2011, but never solved my transmission issues.

Any updates?

Similarities of my issue and the OP's issue: when I put the car in selectshift mode, pressing the throttle more than 60% should cause the transmission to downshift to 1st gear, but instead the car's makes a jolting stop, the RPMs drop and the tires bark. I IMMEDIATELY slap the shifter back into D5 and the problem goes away, the car grabs a forward gear and continues normally. Until I had read the OP's post, I hadn't thought that the car was going into reverse, but I guess it makes sense (with the sudden stop, tires barking, etc). This is where my similarities with the OP's issue end. When in D5, applying more than 60% throttle from a dead stop causes the normal 2 to 1 downshift and everything works normally. However, I have a different, but perhaps related issue below:

Dissimilarities with the OP: Sometimes when the car is first started up and driven, when driving out of my apartment's parking lot in D5, the car will have the same sudden stop and dropping of the RPMs, but the tires do not bark. I just let off of the throttle, and the car finds a forward gear and I continue on my way. It doesn't happen every day, but when it does, it is generally only when the car is cold and being driven for the first time during the day. I am not sure if it is the same problem as with the selectshift (as listed above) since it isn't downshifting from 1st (not giving it more than 60% throttle, just easing it out of the parking lot to get to the street). I'm not really sure what's going on in this case.

Any ideas?

Members online

No members online now.
Back