trans problems, flush fluid

02 ls8

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
ok so i have a 2002 LS v8 with 86k on the trans, and the problems i currently have are that when i drop the car down into first its almost like its in park and the car doesn't move and wont go, it feels like you sitting there with your foot on the gas and brake, if you sit and wait with it in first gear though for maybe 45 seconds it will work though, at first i thought maybe a valve was stuck or something but then i when i drive it in normal d5 i count it shift 5 times meaning 1st has to be working, the second problem is that d4 went out, in other words i can put it in d4 and it stays in d5 on the dash and wont down shift per-say i was on the freeway and did it, no i considered flushing the fluid not that long ago but everyone i know who does a flush has there auto trans blow shorty after, its almost as if all that crap inside helps it, thanks for your help

granted i need to rebuild the entire front end still ever since i got pushed into the curb by a truck but i only need a dash airbags steering wheel and a windshield now so getting close

prob shouldn't flush the trans with that many miles, it's probably already to late in there. unless it's something silly like a solenoid etc. ..

ps I have dash bags and a wheel on my parts car if your interested.

Put some Lucas Oil Transmission Fix in there. You may be able to buy some time if nothing else (if it's not the solenoid)...

1. Whatever you do, don't put an additive like Lucas or anything else in there. It won't help, and it probably will hurt.

2. Flushing the fluid now will not hurt your transmission. Transmissions fail because people don't flush or change the fluid until they have a problem. If it fails after a flush, it was going to fail just as soon if you hadn't flushed it.

3. Your problem is likely not [directly] fluid related. It is more likely to be a problem with the digital range selector or the solenoid assembly.

With those miles, it shouldn't be fried yet. HOWEVER, if it is and you are trying to buy some time, Lucas Oil may get you that time (have seen it first hand). Not saying it's a perm solution.

BTW - I do not work for Lucas Oil:)

1. Whatever you do, don't put an additive like Lucas or anything else in there. It won't help, and it probably will hurt.

2. Flushing the fluid now will not hurt your transmission. Transmissions fail because people don't flush or change the fluid until they have a problem. If it fails after a flush, it was going to fail just as soon if you hadn't flushed it.

3. Your problem is likely not [directly] fluid related. It is more likely to be a problem with the digital range selector or the solenoid assembly.

on the issue of not going into D4, there is a microswitch that may have popped out of place or broke. Take your console out and the cover off the shifter. Its right there; it contacts the chrome shifter bar as you move it over to the side. I repaired mine and put it back in place and it has worked fine since.

ok ill look into the contact switch but you think the 1st gear thing is a solenoid? i was thinking maybe clutch pack, and everyone is confusing me on weither or not to flush the fluid im scared lol

ok ill look into the contact switch but you think the 1st gear thing is a solenoid? i was thinking maybe clutch pack, and everyone is confusing me on weither or not to flush the fluid im scared lol

The fluid isn't due to be changed according to the maintenance schedule until you hit 150K miles, but since you are at close to 10 years I would go ahead and do it. Ford recommends a full fluid exchange (often referred to as a flush). As long as you have a dealer do it and not iffy lube, it will cause no damage.

The longer you run with whatever problem it is that you have, the more damage will be done to your transmission. Your choices are really to (a) fix it now, or (b) wait a while and replace/rebuild the whole transmission. The longer you wait, the more it will cost.

ok but im wondering if hats whats causing my problem or if thats just going to waste my time

ok but im wondering if hats whats causing my problem or if thats just going to waste my time

I'm pretty sure (98%) that changing the fluid isn't going to solve your problem.

Members online

Back