trans cooler

obrix66

LVC Member
Reaction score
Took my 03 v6 ls to the trans shop to get the fluid topped because it has a leak and the guy told me it was leaking at the trans cooler . its cracked slightly. He said its a dealer only part and about $300 . its got a wierd fitting where it hooks up to the tranny lines, his words not mine. Anyone have any luck with aftermarket coolers or is this guy telling me the truth ?

He is incorrect. There are aftermarket coolers, though the factory cooler is probably much better.
It's a combination cooler with a circuit for the transmission and a circuit for the power steering.
The factory part number is XR8Z-3F749-BA. You can get it here: XR8Z-3F749-BA - Ford Parts Giant
Cost is $220 plus shipping.
You could also get it at your local junk yard or on Ebay.
Alternately, you can go aftermarket, such as Dorman 918-311. Just because every other part they make for the LS is very crappy, doesn't mean that this one will be. If you want to take your chances: Dorman OE Solutions 918-311 - Steering Oil Cooler | O'Reilly Auto Parts
Cost is about $150.

Personally, I'd put in one from a junk yard before I'd touch the Dorman.

Hot Rod-type stores will offer a plethora of aftermarket oil coolers of various configurations for much less than the prices quoted. Factory is often, but not always, best.

KS

Hot Rod-type stores will offer a plethora of various configurations of oil coolers for much less than the prices quoted. Factory is often, but not always, best. I'd have no hesitation using a performance-type cooler.

Hot Rod-type stores will offer a plethora of various configurations of oil coolers for much less than the prices quoted. Factory is often, but not always, best. I'd have no hesitation using a performance-type cooler.

Don't forget about the power steering.

Since oil coolers seem to start at about $40 in the hot-rod stores, you can buy two of them for less than $100.

KS

You just have to fit them both in somehow. Anyway, I'm not aware of any performance issue with the factory coolers. I'm not sure what there is to improve here...

The cost savings will be eaten up by the new hoses and the labor to rig up some way to mount it. (Sounds like he is not going DIY.)

Jus' tryin' ta help.:):):):):)

In reality, I've used the shorter ones, intended for in-line, with a hose barb at each end and let them be supported by the existing hose. That approach has never resulted in any sort of problem.

KS

Last edited:
Someone's hacked into Cams acount, I just know it.

o_O Naww. Back in the day all we had was aux type aftermarket coolers as add-ons. They did their job properly. This was called "old school" upgrades,,, and they do still work. Evidently they are capable of setting land speed records. :cool:

Members online

Back