Trans blew something, details inside, help?

stormfinder

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Hey, on the way home from work today, i nailed the gas coming up a hill, then all of a sudden i was puking blue smoke behind me, i stopped and found my transmission and exhaust soaked with fluid.

i Stopped to investigate.

At first i thought it was my transmission rear seal, which has leaked for a while. But there was fluid sprayed on the front of the trans, so thats not it. It almost looked as if the dipstick was the source, but i couldnt see for sure, i had no flashlight.. I checked fluid level, and decided to drive home, i had one more smoke event, and no noticeable problems, the other smoke event was when i used higher throttle and rpm bands, like coming up one hill at 55, in 2nd or 3rd, its steep.

Anybody got any ideas?

I Will get under it tomorrow to check it out.

theres a chance its the input shaft seal on the tranny because right under the seal is the tranny pump so that would explain the pressure causing a or the spray of fuid pull the plug on the bell housing and see if fluid comes out its the little black plastic inspection hole plug could also be a tranny line

Hey, on the way home from work today, i nailed the gas coming up a hill, then all of a sudden i was puking blue smoke behind me, i stopped and found my transmission and exhaust soaked with fluid.

i Stopped to investigate.

At first i thought it was my transmission rear seal, which has leaked for a while. But there was fluid sprayed on the front of the trans, so thats not it. It almost looked as if the dipstick was the source, but i couldnt see for sure, i had no flashlight.. I checked fluid level, and decided to drive home, i had one more smoke event, and no noticeable problems, the other smoke event was when i used higher throttle and rpm bands, like coming up one hill at 55, in 2nd or 3rd, its steep.

Anybody got any ideas?

I Will get under it tomorrow to check it out.

although not common, I have had the pump go bad and blow the seal out and drain every drop of trans fluid out on the road way..
I hope its not the pump and although pulling the trans is bad enough the seal is simple the pump is a pita...

well the thing is, i drove another 35 miles home afterwards. i got underneath and i cant honestly tell where the hell it started. right side of the trans is soaked from the area right around the dipstick tube back. Driver side is soaked from about half the transpan back.

i pulled the little plug, and there was a little bit of fluid inside the bellhousing, not dripping or anything, but enough to feel and see on my finger, so i am worried that the front pump blew. but would have expected to see more evidence of a central leaking point.

Also why would this only be at high rpm high load? is that when the line pressure is highest?

i got almost 303k on mine and i was told it leaks but i never looked through the inspection hole on the bell housing. you coild also try having the car running while the inspection plug is out and see if any extra fluid comes out since you said there was a tiny bit in the bell housing

Members online

No members online now.
Back