Tranny upgrades

outkast5

LVC Member
Reaction score
Ok Guys I have my tranny out and I got a rebuild kit. I want to know if anyone has some good tips, tricks or just good advice when it comes to putting it all back together. I was told to get the valve body kit from baumann engineering. So I'm planning on that. I thought I should get there rebuild kit too. I have one on order from the local parts store but I don't know if the baumann one is better or not. I don't know if I get all new springs in the kit or not I want to replace them all. Should I get all the stuff they have for my AOD-E or what would you recomend? I am also putting in 3.73 gears in. Is anything required when I change that out? want a chip and the mass air sensor before it's back on the road. and I saw the Hot wires on one of the cars in here are they really worth it? If any one has some good feed back that would be great. Thanks Steve

I have a superior shift kit in mine and a edge 2800 "9" stall with a 24,000lbs trans cooler (tube and fine type), but I would go with a Baumann shift kit a "9" stall 2500-3500 rpm and a trans cooler, I herd the one from the 03 power stroke diesel is a good tranny cooler, ask Geno at LMS

and diffidently do the 1-2 and 2-3 accumulator upgrades

I believe the accumulator upgrades come with the Baumann shift kit.

also use a intermediant spiral lock snap ring if you use the ball and ramp intermediant one way clutch.

cool well I got the parts here at work and I was going through cleaning up and I have the reverse clutch drum in hand and I noticed the tabs on the out edge of it are chewed up so I might replace it. But I noticed something funny on of the tabs are missing it looks like it was ground off. I know this is not the original tranny cause I ran the numbers on some of the conponants and they were manufactured in 96. So I'm wondering if the last person ot rebuild the tranny did a :q:q:q:q job or is that part suposed to be missing a tab there.

i havnt seen a lug that is ground off before,and dont understand why someone would grind it off.how bad was the sun gear shell?if you replace the reverse drum you could also update to the mechanical one way . i dont like them but every one i talked to about them swear by them.

the shell doesn't look bad at all. I spent about 3 hours assembling and disassembling all the clutches and stuff. The whole thing seems easier now. what is the difference between the mechanical one way and the stock and how do I tell the difference?

The worst parts I found were the broken 1-2 accumulater spring was broke in 4 pieces. The forward clutch pack was toast the friction plate were down to the steel and the metal plates turned blue and black from the heat. the rest of the clutch packs and a few specks of black but none like this one.

Billet Steel Intermediate Shaft??
Iv heard that it is a must, but have any of yall got it done ???
and have a good amount work done

outkast said:
the shell doesn't look bad at all. I spent about 3 hours assembling and disassembling all the clutches and stuff. The whole thing seems easier now. what is the difference between the mechanical one way and the stock and how do I tell the difference?
the old style inter. one way has a retainer and snap ring that holds the outer race onto the reverse drum. the mechanical one is held on with a snap ring,and it makes a racheting soundwhen spun .make sure the endplay on final assy. is good and tight .

thanks I will be ordering all the new parts in a week. I am going to get it all from baumann engineering. The rebuild kit, bypass clutch control valve, pressure regulator valve, mechanical diode kit, valve body recalibration kit, new bearing, 2 new bushings, the seal protectors, and new accumualors. I think that should cover everything I'll need. Is there anything I forgot?

look at the od servo seal,make sure the seal is not hard.also check the reverse servo and cover for the same problem.have seen many that if you push on the seal it will break off.

I just got back from the tranny shop he's tell'n me the if I run a 3000 stall with stock gears the tranny will run way too hot. because it will never lock up on the highway. Is this something I should worry about or should I just put in a bigger tranny cooler?

Members online

No members online now.
Back