tranny shifting hard (check/change fluid)

c.camp420

LVC Member
Reaction score
hi i have an '00 ls v8 it has 74,000 miles and the tranny has been acting up. its been shifting hard from 2nd into 3rd and when its in 5th and i give it a little gas i feel something like catching. but when i release the gas you can feel it in the tranny(hard to describe). i dont know, it did the same thing as my 99 mercury sable. but does anyone know how to check the trans fluid? and does anyone have any tips on how to save my tranny? btw my trans is not slipping at all. was going to drop the pan and put new filter and Mobil 1 trans fluid.:(

You are off to a good start; filter a fluid. In order to check the fluid, you have to get to the drain plug. You might have the solenoid pack going bad from the symptoms you describe.

You are off to a good start; filter a fluid. In order to check the fluid, you have to get to the drain plug. You might have the solenoid pack going bad from the symptoms you describe.

thanks man sorry i havent been on been really busy, should i even waste the $ on new filter and fluid? and do u have any idea how much a solenoid pack would run me? because honestly i just want to sell this car. i love it but it treats me like sh** lol

The solenoid packs are around 300bucks I think.

These trannies get a bad rap for going out but half the problem is ford never put a freakin dipstick in them to check them. chances are at 74k it has never been checked in its 12 years.

What ya want for it?

The solenoid packs are around 300bucks I think.

These trannies get a bad rap for going out but half the problem is ford never put a freakin dipstick in them to check them. chances are at 74k it has never been checked in its 12 years.

What ya want for it?

dude you don't want this car believe me, was going to give it to my g/f but its just rediculous. just yesterday my air bag light came on and my window regulator broke. lol

dude you don't want this car believe me, was going to give it to my g/f but its just rediculous. just yesterday my air bag light came on and my window regulator broke. lol

Lol you got some bad luck I swear! maybe the previous owner super glued it together from 3 different cars?
Airbag=Clockspring? Mine just came on too. I shook my fist at it just got the CEL to go out.

If you will take it by any trusted transmission repair shop, they can test drive it and then they will tell you what's wrong and what it will take to repair it. Hope this helps.

I have an 02 Lincoln LS also; been through the typical things happening. Valve cover gasket set; clock spring; rough shifting in tranny; LF window regulator; air bag light; seat heaters not working; valve cover gaskets leaking and it ruins the spark plugs, boots, serp belt, fuel access door sticking, water leaking from sun roof area, two sets spark plugs, master cylinder, rotors, two complete sets of pads. Now seat heaters do not work. All these things are an inherent problems with all LS's. etc. I am sure there will be more to come. Mileage 118,000 road miles...its my wife's car. Still looks great and runs strong. Gonna keep it for while longer. Its ok to spend money for the small repairs since its been paid for a while..lol Take Care, Larry

Last edited:
I have an 02 Lincoln LS also; been through the typical things happening. Valve cover gasket set; clock spring; rough shifting in tranny; LF window regulator; air bag light; seat heaters not working; valve cover gaskets leaking and it ruins the spark plugs, boots, serp belt, fuel access door sticking, water leaking from sun roof area, two sets spark plugs, master cylinder, rotors, two complete sets of pads. Now seat heaters do not work. All these things are an inherent problems with all LS's. etc. I am sure there will be more to come. Mileage 118,000 road miles...its my wife's car. Still looks great and runs strong. Gonna keep it for while longer. Its ok to spend money for the small repairs since its been paid for a while..lol Take Care, Larry

lol wow man u have more patience than me, yeah i would like to keep it but im going to be poor from fixing it haha and i only put 4k miles on it and im having all these probs. bought it couple months ago and its just been absolute BAD luck

Last edited:
Lol you got some bad luck I swear! maybe the previous owner super glued it together from 3 different cars?
Airbag=Clockspring? Mine just came on too. I shook my fist at it just got the CEL to go out.

yeah thats what im starting to think haha, yea itsucks but whatever. kbb is still $6200 so im going to put on craigslist for 5k as is see if someone takes it. thanks again man....oh no its not my clokcspring because all my buttons on steering wheel work. i took the connector off an rewired it (someone cut it be4) but its still on. its a tight spot to work on im 6'4'' lol hard for me to get under there

Last edited:
eh its just as easy to take the light out of the cluster than it is to fix it. Maybe even easier lol

Members online

No members online now.
Back