Tranny problems. =(

DysfunktinaL

LVC Member
Reaction score
Not sure what is going on, and I really hope I don't have to replace the tranny...

Started a month or two ago, but when I come to a full stop, or make a sharp turn it shifts into neutral. Have to rev it a little bit to make it shift abck into first, but after that it's all cake.

But now........ It still does all of that, but just last week it added something new to my worries... It doesn't want to shift from first to second. Normal driving, and it will go as high as 6000 rpm before it shifts. The only way I can make it shift before then is if I let off the gas for a few seconds, and then press down again. When it's in second, it's constantly going in and out of gear, untill it hit's #3, and from there on it seems to work fine.

Any thoughts?

Well the first problem is easy and common. You need to pick up yourself a 96 or newer style pan with the right filter. The new pan has a lower pick-up. What's happening is the sharp turn is causing the fluid to shift to one side of the pan and suddenly the pump is sucking up air. The newer pan and filter will take care of that.

Second and new issue could be that you are low on trans fluid or its burned out so check that first. Remember to get the thing warmed up good and shift through the gears before checking the level. It may also be the MLPS (neutral safety switch) which is not too hard to replace, its on the exterior of the trans. Lastly is could be the throttle position sensor but that would lead to other issues too - usually.

How much am I looking at for the new pan and filter? I have tools, a jack and stands. Should be less then a 2 hour DIY job you think?

Oh, and what is the exact name for the pan, so I can look it up localy. Transmission Fluid Pan?

I'll have to check the fluid levels, that sounds the most likly issue. It goes into neutral on sharp turns and sudden stops, so that sounds like what you are talking about with the fluid shifting away from the pump.

Thanks for the tips.

Ya, its just a trans pan. Technically its a "deep sump" pan. But just get one for a 96 or newer. It will not be flat, it will have a large bump in the middle. The newer filter has a "snorkel" to get down into that area.

Dont forget though, new trans fluid only. Its not good practice to re-use trans fluid. You will want to drain the torque convertor, there is a location on it to do so. Then let everything drip as long as you can and refill with Mercon V - NOT - Mercon III.

It would be a good idea to get a can of trans flush to clean out the trans cooler.

2 hours? If you have a lift and work fast. For DIY it may take longer.

Do you have harsh 1-2 or 3-4 shifts? Since you are going through all this work, there is a faulty part called an accumulator that should get replaced.

Can of worms is open! lol

No, I don't have hard shifts, just the current issues. On the way home last night I pulled over at a shop and checked my trans fluid level, it was really low. I put a quart in, and it's not doing the neutral thing except for when I stop really hard or make a turn at high'ish speeds. But it is still doing the second gear thing. I am going to check the level again tonight on the way home. I am hoping that I can get this fixed temporarily with enough trans fluid, as I don't have the time or money right now to really have it fixed right. I can do the work myself and with a friend, but it's a budget issue, both time and money.

I really hope the Tranny isn't going out, but if it is.... You'll see my project thread on swapping a T-56 in soon I guess. There is a local Ford only auto-wrecker near by, so I can pick up a used trans from them pretty cheap and re-build it with my friends who are big Mustang Fans. My buddy has a late 90's/early 2000's Mustang pretty well done up with nitris and all, and every time he rides with me I can see him eyeing my guages, drooling over my motor.

Second gear is shot. I played with it on the freeway today. First gear runs to 4 or 5 krpm, then shifts straight into 3'rd. When I force it into second, it'll engage, but when I give it gas to accelerate, it slips and the engine just revs.

Transmission bad, or something else? If the tranny needs to be replaced, you'll see my ass posting a 5 speed swap project thread. I'll have to power through a weekend to get it done though, as this is my DD.

It could be a bad trans, I dont think the MLPS would cause this. But $40 for a MLPS *might* be worth trying. Most places call it a neutral safety switch. It needs to be put on when the car is in neutral an alignment can be critical.

I'll look into that for sure. I can drive it okay right now. It just revs high in first before shifting. I am going to start looking around for a deal on a new(rebuilt) trans too. I think I may just go for a T-56 F-Body swap.

Members online

No members online now.
Back