Tranny problem

jdlmkviii

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
I personally think my transmission is going, but I thought I'd run this by you guys first...

when I punch it..... it hits the rev limiter in 1st gear then won't shift..... then when I drive normally, it kinda skips over second gear...... and when I shift it down to 2nd, it'll go, but slip BIG TIME.

And also when I drive slowly or normally, it won't shift until 1st gear RPM's are around 3500-4000. The problem is really consistant and does it everytime.

Anyone have any different opinions or anything?

You check your tranny fluid??? Im not second guessing you or trying to offend you, but i had a trans fluid leak and started to get some slippage.

just got changed about 2-3 months ago, Mercon V too. Also checked the fluid level right after I discovered the problem.... perfectly fine. and it's not just some slippage, it actually hardly does anything in second gear

Last edited by a moderator:
Trans Problems

I don't know your trans at all but on my Intrepid it was the modulater Valve
I would take it to a trani place if you have one you can trust, they may have seen that before. When you find out what it is pls post it.

Good luck, I think I need to change a CV Joint on the STS this week end.
WE MUST HAVE OUR RIDES (My wife says it a mid life thing)

jdlmkviii said:
I personally think my transmission is going, but I thought I'd run this by you guys first...

when I punch it..... it hits the rev limiter in 1st gear then won't shift..... then when I drive normally, it kinda skips over second gear...... and when I shift it down to 2nd, it'll go, but slip BIG TIME.

And also when I drive slowly or normally, it won't shift until 1st gear RPM's are around 3500-4000. The problem is really consistant and does it everytime.

Anyone have any different opinions or anything?

The tranny was just rebuilt a little over 2 years ago, my dad said it was the same problem last time. And nope, no funny smells or anything

what year is the mark. Is it the computer controlled tranny? Is it possible the VSS ties into the tranny?? (Im really taking shots in the dark here)

On a side note, does the mark tranny have a gear selector sensor?

What about if you shift through the gears manually? Like low, 2, D Od?

My mark is a '95. When I shift down into second, it's almost like it's in neutral. It'll move, but VERY, VERY, VERY, slowly with the gas pedal to the floor, and after a couple seconds, I'm goin about 20 mph and it's redlining in 2nd gear.

Did you have the guys from the mark8 forum drop in here?? Put a thread in the mark8 forum. My transmission is starting to do the same but the mark tranny might be different you may be able to change a valve or sensor from the trans pan yourself. I would think you need a rebuild, but you might be able to save it.

Members online

No members online now.
Back