Tranny Issues

MONTE 02 LS

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
02LS 3.9 In August of 2014 I had my solenoid pack replaced and just did it again. I have more codes now than before. An old family friend said I should change my neutral safety switch. Should I bother or just send out the pcm to SAI. The probs Im having are line pressure codes and electrical codes. Transmission seems to operate fine but getting check transmission message and E. The solenoid pack was OEM so they changed for free but it didn't fix it.

.... An old family friend said I should change my neutral safety switch. ...

What is their justification for saying this? Are there symptoms you haven't related? The LS doesn't have a neutral safety switch as such. It is a function of the digital transmission range switch (DTR). Problems with that should cause some specific codes.

Hi joe, I think his justification was just a stab in the dark. The CEL came back on this weekend so i went to o'rielys and had it checked.
P0734,P0735,P0745,P0791 and P0795. Any thoughts? The Mechanic who is an ex ford/jag tech did the first solenoid pack in 08/14 and again 07/15 with OEM parts,also when he had the solenoid pack out he said there were no metal savings and fluid was clean.I had codes P0734 and P0795 before the 07/15 fix. Not sure where to go from here, mail out PCM? any thoughts? Thanks

I had no codes, the PCM threw no codes. You have several and pressure issues. I would lean towards it not being the PCM.

P0734 and P0735 are probably a consequence of code P0791 (Intermediate Shaft Speed Sensor "A" Circuit). If it can't read the speed correctly, then it will think the gear ratios are incorrect. You could have an actual problem with the sensor, the wiring, or the PCM. P0745 and P0795 are solenoid electrical problems. Could be the solenoid assembly, the wiring (or connectors), or the PCM. Given all the other things you have done, it seems like the PCM should be suspect.

I wonder if you could find anyone willing to scope the shaft speed sensor signal (and maybe the solenoid signals) to try and see what is going on? The the speed sensor signal seems rational and code P0791 comes back, it would point to the PCM. On the other hand, if the speed sensor signal is bad, then maybe there are transmission problems still.
Where do you place your bet on which diagnostics (and charges to pay) to run first? I wish I knew...

My PCM also threw no codes yet shifted like crap. Due to the tightness of the trans tunnel, send the PCM in for a checkout. If nothing is wrong they charge like 81 bucks. If it's broken, they max out at 160 or so bucks. Do the PCM first.

My PCM also threw no codes yet shifted like crap. Due to the tightness of the trans tunnel, send the PCM in for a checkout. If nothing is wrong they charge like 81 bucks. If it's broken, they max out at 160 or so bucks. Do the PCM first.
how did this work out for you?

Members online

No members online now.
Back