Tranny issues

SwedishMark

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
Hey guys.
I got some tranny issues today.
The car sometimes feels like it's going into neutral.
Always happens on either WOT passes or uphills. On WOT passes I can go through all first gear, it shifts to second and about a second after that it revs up like it's in neutral. When I release the throttle the RPM goes down and then it engages again. I can really feel it because the car jumps forward.
Also when I'm overtaking people and mostly in uphills the same thing happen. Both in 2nd and 3rd gear. And when I release it throttle the car jumps forward.
I have enough fluid in the transmission, it's clear red but it smells burnt.

I'm dearly hoping for it to be the MLPS but I belive it's more serious than that.
What I think is that the trans clutch is slipping.
What do you guys think?

The fluid level is perfect.

Hmmm. Well...if it were mine, first thing I'd do is change the fluid/filter, refill with Mercon V and a quart of Lucas Anti-Slip and see what happens. When was the last time you changed the fluid/filter? Make sure the old fluid is red. If it's brown, your tranny's toast. If that doesn't do the trick, somebody else will have to make a suggestion because I'm not much of a transmission guy. And I know somebody's gonna say your tranny's shot. And it may very well be. But try a little preventative maintenance first before making that call.:)

I just bought the car so I don't know but I do belive the tranny fluid is old because the engine oil hadn't been changed for 2 years. So when was the last time the transmissions fluid has been changed? Who knows :)
But the fluid is clear red and looks fresh. But I can give it a go changing the fluid. Just need to find time for that :D

This sounds a lot like what happened to my 97 Thunderbird when I had it, at about 100k miles the trans stared neutraling out in 3rd gear, I would have to let off the gas and it would slam into 3rd, if I remember correctly it was the clutches failing, I brought it to a trans shop and ended up having it rebuilt..sounds like its mechanical failure not elctronic..

If it won't shift into third at all and smells burnt..........expect the worst.

It does shift absolutley fine when I'm just driving normal/carefully. All gears work. But when there's some stress on the motor where it starts giving out some torque.

This sounds a lot like what happened to my 97 Thunderbird when I had it, at about 100k miles the trans stared neutraling out in 3rd gear, I would have to let off the gas and it would slam into 3rd, if I remember correctly it was the clutches failing, I brought it to a trans shop and ended up having it rebuilt..sounds like its mechanical failure not elctronic..

Exactly what happens with mine.
The more I think of it the more I belive it's the clutches.

Members online

No members online now.
Back