Tranny - is this an issue or normal

I also have this problem. I was able to downshift from D5 to D4 and it show on the display, but now it will not downshift to D4 unless I leave it in D4 and after a while it might. Did I wear something out? I'm afraid it may be a sensor in the tranny or something.

I never made it to the dealer, just been living with it... just leave it in D5...

Although everyonce in a while I hear an error beep (like the low fuel beep) but can't look down fast enough to read the error message that goes away. Yesterday it happened and the message came on long enough for me to read "gear selector" and there was another message underneath it I couldn't read in time...

Just had this repair

in the standard shift a short or micro switch failure occurs in the D4 of the shifter...
Shifter needs replacing..
Standard OEM Ford Direct $453.00
SST OEM Ford Direct $495.00
Install about 250-300 at dealer...
Plus IF they will re-flash it for ya.. $95.00

DYI
Ebay standard shifter $34.00
SST Shifter $44.00 (found it the same day same place as standard.. believe that)
stuff for re-flash by laptop EXPENSIVE but worth it...

Doing it yourself - PRICELESS

This has happened with my SST in my 2000 sport also. Its not something limited to only the standards but just not as common.

They figured it out when they did a flash update on my tans.

what's the benefit of being in D4 as opposed to D5? on highway travel wouldn't you want the 5th gear available for better RPMs at that speed? i've heard theories that D4 can give slightly better gas mileage but i haven't seen it make any difference with my driving. then again i'm 99% city driving so the mileage is always bad.

D4 is ideal for city driving and stop and go traffic. I use D4 all the time here within the city of Austin, once I get up to highway speeds then I'll throw it into D5, (65 or above). I always throw it back into D4 or into SST when passing or just need to feel a little speed.

I never use D4. Unless somethings wrong I get horrible mileage in D4 no matter where Im at. I try to keep this car on the highway's more offten than the city.

A great advantage of owning two vehicles. My Highlander does city what this thing does highway.

I never use D4. Unless somethings wrong I get horrible mileage in D4 no matter where Im at. I try to keep this car on the highway's more offten than the city.

A great advantage of owning two vehicles. My Highlander does city what this thing does highway.

I get pretty favorable results in D4, 18-19 unless I hammer on the car a bit.

Typical 2000 Lincoln LS V8 Auto (traditional not SST) roughly 66K on it...

When I switch from D5 to D4 it very rarely shows D4 on the cluster, however always shows D3, D2 etc... I never thought anything of it, until I saw D4 twice this weekend. Then for the life of me couldn't make it come back again, it almost always says D5.

Shouldn't it read D4 when I mover the shifter, or am I missing something?

Thanks if you can answer this simple question... I am planning a SST conversion, but don't want to if I have other issues...

i previously posted this twice for other people...
if you pull your center console apart, i bet you'll find the D4/D5 microswitch isnt working properly. yes, there is one in there, i missed it first pass.

you can carefully take it apart, without snapping the little clips, or losing pieces, and fix it. i think the spring in mine simply got caught. just make sure you carefully note the orientation of everything. its basically a "diving board" with a spring running parallel from the middle to "hinged" end. pressing the shiny metal lever simply causes the diving board to flip the other way.

you can manually move the diving board with the ignition on and see if you then get D4. (pressing the switch puts you in D4). If it still doesnt work, theres a shift sensor on the side of the transmission that may be the culprit, but you may as well check the 5 cent switch first.

you cant order just the microswitch, but i believe burgess something is the name of the company should your switch have no hope. do a google search on burgess switch with the numbers on the side of the switch.

I used to have the same problem, i would shift into D4 and it would not show up (00 V8 none-sport). I could get it to show D4 on the cluster if i played with it for a minute, switching back and forth from D5 to D4 a few times.

I have the SST shifter now, so i don't have this problem anymore ;)

if you dont want to spend $$ and replace the whole console assembly just to get the +/- gimmick, then you can do the quick microswitch fix.

Members online

No members online now.
Back