Tranny flush or no tranny flush?

Happysacks00

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Well...here goes,

i have an 02 v8 with approx 91k. I have owned it since 06 at 30k. Never in my ownership have I had a transmission flush out of it. I have always heard not to do a transmission flush if it gets too high in mileage because of the metal filliments are thickening up the fluid and it needs to be there in order to function properly......

I dont beat the :q:q:q:q out of my car, no do i drive like a grandpa.... I occasionally drive hard, but never jackrabbit starts, rarely take the motor over 4500 rpm or use slapshift.

That being said, what do you guys think....time to flush the fluid, or leave it alone?

instead of a flush you could always drop the pan and put new fluid (with however much comes out) and filter..

Well...here goes,

i have an 02 v8 with approx 91k. I have owned it since 06 at 30k. Never in my ownership have I had a transmission flush out of it. I have always heard not to do a transmission flush if it gets too high in mileage because of the metal filliments are thickening up the fluid and it needs to be there in order to function properly......

I dont beat the :q:q:q:q out of my car, no do i drive like a grandpa.... I occasionally drive hard, but never jackrabbit starts, rarely take the motor over 4500 rpm or use slapshift.

That being said, what do you guys think....time to flush the fluid, or leave it alone?

Flush. If you have metal shavings in the transmission that means the trans is dying. Loose metal shavings should never be in the fluid. Metal shavings means parts (probably clutches) are failing.

Mercon V is supposed to be good to 150k. However, ATF does age and need to be replaced. If it ever overheats, it breaks down and doesn't provide the necessary lubrication. Normal ATF does this much quicker/easier, Mercon V has additional additives that help it last longer.
The tradition is to drain a little and take a look/whiff. Should be red. If it's brown or smells burnt then it really needs to be replaced.
The don't flush thing is an old wives tale. If someone messes up the procedure and starves the tranny, that would certainly kill it.
Do it yourself. It's fun.

Flush. If you have metal shavings in the transmission that means the trans is dying. Loose metal shavings should never be in the fluid. Metal shavings means parts (probably clutches) are failing.

Weeelllllll...... Some is OK and expected. The plates do wear. Frictions do wear. Now, it should be like just a small quantity of tiny particles. If you have shavings like you'd see in a dying engine, then that's bad. That's why tranny pans always have magnets - to catch as many of the particles as possible. Engine pans don't always have them.

I do flushes and pans all day at work and I say do the pan your local lube shop should do it. Or just do it your self it isn't that bad.

not to thread jack, but were is the fill spot on these transmisions seeing as they have no dipstick, and how much atf does it take, i thought about doing this my self.

not to thread jack, but were is the fill spot on these transmisions seeing as they have no dipstick, and how much atf does it take, i thought about doing this my self.

Plug on the tailhousing. 5R55N facing back, 5R55S facing side. Stick a hose with a pump in it. Or, if you get the special tools, you can fill through the drain plug.
Read and re-read the technical documentation on proper fill level. Fluid should still be coming out of the plug when full. If you wait until no more comes out, then it's low. Funny but true.

thanks oddball, were can i get one of these special tools? and if they are hard to find what kind of pump would i use. thanks

thanks oddball, were can i get one of these special tools? and if they are hard to find what kind of pump would i use. thanks

Alternately, you can disconnect the transmission cooler lines, slip a hose over the inlet one, and fill it that way.

I think a vacuum/fluid transfer pump is the tool. Some digging at Sears might turn one up. If you don't have the manual - get it. Or print (and memorize) the pages from the online one.
For pump, just any fluid transfer pump. I got a cheap and cheery one at Sears for $8. It leaked horribly and was trash after 14 qts, but worked.
Pumping in through tranny lines would certainly work, too. Make sure it's a good seal - I'd go for a coupler. Wish I'd thought of that. Would've saved a burn from the exhaust....

Disconnecting the cooler to do the flush works well (and messy if you're quick about it). So you can use that to refill.

ok...so i guess its a flush then... thanks guys. thanks for thread jackin too.. lol j/k it went with the thread. Thought about doing this myself also but the hell with it....ill take it to my pops shop

So with the "some metal shavings are normal" thing. Would it be a good idea to put a magnet in the bottom of the pan? Or is the pan made out of aluminum?

So with the "some metal shavings are normal" thing. Would it be a good idea to put a magnet in the bottom of the pan? Or is the pan made out of aluminum?

There's already a magnet in the bottom of the pan (on gen II at least).

damn near every tranny has a magnet in the pan. Many more trannies do from the assembly line than engines.
Service manual for Gen I says there's one there - talks about cleaning it when doing tranny service. I haven't dropped my pan to actually check.

Members online

Back