Tranny filter change

GoldCoastLs

LVC Member
Reaction score
Does anybody know how to change the tranny filter in this freakin space car. im used to working on older cars, opening something up in this car frightens me, so if anybody can give me the whole procedure i would be very apprecitive. Also is there anybody here who is on the central coast of cali. i would like to get a lux car show going.

GoldCoastLs said:
Does anybody know how to change the tranny filter in this freakin space car. im used to working on older cars, opening something up in this car frightens me, so if anybody can give me the whole procedure i would be very apprecitive. Also is there anybody here who is on the central coast of cali. i would like to get a lux car show going.

It is really not a good idea to change the filter. What you should do is find a local service garage that has a transmission flush machine this process is alot safer for your car. Just changing the filter and fluid that come out could shorten the life of your tranny it does not get any of the fluid out of the torque converter. Take your own fluid (Motorcraft synthetic mercon trans fluid local ford dealer will have it DON'T USE MERCON V!) about 13 Qts. Make sure they know that the LS has a service bulletin stating that these car should be at running temp before flushing the transmission (should sit at idle for 30 to 45 minutes). Not to mention the fact to fill the tranny it should be on a lift to check the fluid level since there is no tranny dipstick.

As a matter of fact I did. Just wanna make sure I used the right stuff. Is the synthetic Mercon III supposed to be better?

Mercon V is for use in trucks & suv's and is a bit heavy , which in a convetional 3 or 4 speed trans not a problem the 5R55N 5speed runs higher a psi and a reqiures thinner fluid. You have to be careful with these transmissions or they will bite you in the wallet!

Wired Gator said:
Mercon V is for use in trucks & suv's and is a bit heavy , which in a convetional 3 or 4 speed trans not a problem the 5R55N 5speed runs higher a psi and a reqiures thinner fluid. You have to be careful with these transmissions or they will bite you in the wallet!

Page 247 of the owners manual says specifically to use MERCON V. It says don't mix MERCON and MERCON V. It does say that MERCON is to be used in the manual trans.

My local Lincoln dealer mention to me that the transmission oil is to be changed at 90K? He told me that when I took it in to have the 30K service checkup. After he said that to me I told him on why the owners manuel recommends that you do it every 30K miles. Anyone know something about this. My transmission is running great but just want to make sure that I am receiving correct information.

5R55N Transmision oil change

Aviatorguy said:
My local Lincoln dealer mention to me that the transmission oil is to be changed at 90K? He told me that when I took it in to have the 30K service checkup. After he said that to me I told him on why the owners manuel recommends that you do it every 30K miles. Anyone know something about this. My transmission is running great but just want to make sure that I am receiving correct information.
I cannot find where it recommends any change for the 5R55N transmission. My copy of the owner's manual (3rd printing) makes no mention of changing transmission fluid and the Maintenance Guide does not mention the 5R55N for an oil change, even at 90,000 miles. The change intervals in the maintenace guide are for the 4F50N and 4F27E transmisions that I believe are front wheel drive transaxials.
:Beer

Members online

No members online now.
Back