Trailer Hitch Question?

Don Geppert

New LVC Member
Reaction score
I need to put a Class II trailer hitch on my 2002 Conti.

Some of the "hitch" people I've talked to say a Taurus/Sable hitch will fit but another fellow who has been doing it for years says a Cougar hitch will ft? Many times when these people go to their reference charts the Conti's stop around 94 and under the year 2002 nothing is listed for Contis. I am assuming that the LS Frame is NOT the same? I believe these hitches do not need drilling and are made to fit the vehicle? ALSO, many are saying I need a "Modulite". Something that makes the computer ignore the extra draw from the trailer lights (although if I had them, I would imagine LED lights wouldn't draw very much)? I know I didn't use a Modulite on my 1995 Grand Marquis (digital dash) and I never had a problem but the Conti may be different with the electronic suspension and all that?

So what's the verdict?

1) Taurus/Sable or Cougar Hitch?
2) Modulite yes/no?
3) LS architecture not compatible yes/no?
4) Any other suggestions?

maybe there is enough difference between the Conti and the Taurus/Sable's post 1994 that its not a fit? I know there wasnt much difference 88-94. besides the obvious sheet metal and trim parts, and of course the air suspension, the wheelbase is slightly longer, and I think the rear overhang is slightly more too.

Update ...

Trailer hitch (Cougar) went on today. It fit perfectly, bolt holes lined up, no driling (the guy obviously knows what he's doing). I watched everything over his shoulder. It hides underneath so you can hardly see it without the arm on. I'll take it easy but he said for what I am doing this is nothing for the car!

Best

Members online

No members online now.
Back