Traded '06 Zephyr for an '03 LS

NaplesBill

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
I had to do it. I loved the Zephyr but I really wanted an LS V8. I found an '03 in good condition with only 38k on it. It's loaded. It even has the NAV/THX and HID headlights. I paid 18k for it. It's silver outside and two tone gray on the inside. I'll try to get some pics this weekend.

I had to do it. I loved the Zephyr but I really wanted an LS V8. I found an '03 in good condition with only 38k on it. It's loaded. It even has the NAV/THX and HID headlights. I paid 18k for it. It's silver outside and two tone gray on the inside. I'll try to get some pics this weekend.

that was quick. didnt you just pick up the zephyr?

Thanks guys. Yes, I picked up the Zephyr in Dec '06. I had 15k on it. I recently replaced my '03 Explorer with an '06 Mustang GT. After driving the GT I just couldn't tolerate the seating position in the Zephyr. I had an opportunity to pick up this LS for a good price (IMO). I just prefer rear wheel drive and V8s. Oh well, I always wanted an LS anyway.

I live near Collier Blvd between White Blvd and Vanderbilt Beach Rd.

Welcome to the love hate relationship we all have with the LS. Just out of curiosity, why did you go backwards? Older car, more miles. I would have just stuck with the Zepher even though its not my style, more than likely it was going to be more reliable.

Welcome to the love hate relationship we all have with the LS. Just out of curiosity, why did you go backwards? Older car, more miles. I would have just stuck with the Zepher even though its not my style, more than likely it was going to be more reliable.

I like the Zephyr interior and the exterior isn't bad either. The problem is that it's fwd and I just got tired of the fwd handling/driving dynamics. I would have surpassed 30k by the end of the year anyway. Also, what makes you think the Zephyr is going to be more reliable? Are you basing that on what you see in an online forum? All the data I've found suggests the 03+ LS reliability is good. Online forums have a way of skewing reality. People scream when they have problems but don't speak up when they don't. Besides, the LS chassis is far superior in almost every regard.

I like the Zephyr interior and the exterior isn't bad either. The problem is that it's fwd and I just got tired of the fwd handling/driving dynamics. I would have surpassed 30k by the end of the year anyway. Also, what makes you think the Zephyr is going to be more reliable? Are you basing that on what you see in an online forum? All the data I've found suggests the 03+ LS reliability is good. Online forums have a way of skewing reality. People scream when they have problems but don't speak up when they don't. Besides, the LS chassis is far superior in almost every regard.

I'm sorry, when I said more reliable I was not basing it on the forum. I was just assuming that the Zepher was still under warranty and would have more time under warranty then a used LS. The 03 is going to be more reliable than an 02 based on past problems that the 00-02's have but I just thought an 06 would have less problems, thats all. I agree with you 100%, I would much rather have an LS because of the V8 and RWD, thats why I bought one. I also took my chances buying a 2002 with more miles just because I like the way it looked, so trust me I know where you are coming from. I probably could have bought a 03 or 04 for the money I spent on my car but I like the LSE and couldn't find an 04 LSE in my area. I say buy what you like and enjoy it,

Well, you are correct on the warranty period. I'm not real worried about it because, like you said, I'd rather drive a more enjoyable vehicle. BTW, I still have 6 mos of warranty on the LS. I will look for every possible issue and have them resolved prior to that data. Also, I looked up my VIN and it's a 2003 LS V8 Premium Sport.

Well, you are correct on the warranty period. I'm not real worried about it because, like you said, I'd rather drive a more enjoyable vehicle. BTW, I still have 6 mos of warranty on the LS. I will look for every possible issue and have them resolved prior to that data. Also, I looked up my VIN and it's a 2003 LS V8 Premium Sport.

check out carchex.com they offer a premium aftermarket warranty for under 1800 dollars if you buy before the warranty expires.

I am certain you will enjoy this car much more than the Zephyr. Like you I simply can't stand the handling of fwd cars and belive Lincoln made another bad decision with the zphyr. Maybe they will discontinue you the brand name next!

enjoy

Not to hijack, but every time I look at the thread listings in this forum and see your name, I keep reading it as "NipplesBill" :D

check out carchex.com they offer a premium aftermarket warranty for under 1800 dollars if you buy before the warranty expires.

I am certain you will enjoy this car much more than the Zephyr. Like you I simply can't stand the handling of fwd cars and belive Lincoln made another bad decision with the zphyr. Maybe they will discontinue you the brand name next!

enjoy

Actually, I think the people who would buy the target market of Japanese FWD luxury will find it as a great car at a great price. For the real drivers like you and I it's a good car but doesn't provide the excitement we are looking for. That is supposed to come from the MKS so we'll have to wait and see.

I did not make this change, but I have in the past.
I bought a 92 mustang four cylinder with manual trans with 49,000 miles on it and got out of a 94 mercury tracer with 12,000.
My reasons were simple,
I hated the tracer;
It was tiny and tinny,
It wallowed going down the road,
It had less room than the mustang,
It did not get better gas mileage than my prior 4 cylinder mustang (much to my wife's dismay),
It had a transmission that was about to blow up,
It had crap wheels that bent at the drop of a dime,
It had a crap oem radio,
It could not reliably drive in the city or on the highway,
For me it was unsafe in a crash, which was a pending event,
The maintenace was way, way higher than the mustang (1 set of front brakes, 2 sets of rear brakes & drums, one trany refill, two wheels, on jack, one rear seat, and a few other things)
oh yeah and it was fwd.

Ditto the mystique that someone tried to give me,
Ditto the 323 that someone tried to give me

I'd rather have a slightly older car with more miles on it than an underpowered, undersized machine that I'm going to end up beating the living snot out of.
I'm not one to suffer an under-anything car. I'll gladly buy a car that is a couple of years older, but that has many more miles to go on it.

Ok, here are the initial pics. The car is a bit dirty on the outside but here it is.

DSC00617.jpg

DSC00618.jpg

DSC00619.jpg

DSC00621.jpg

DSC00622.jpg

DSC00624.jpg

DSC00625.jpg

DSC00626.jpg

DSC00627.jpg

what no pictures of the v8??

great looking car though.
enjoy it.

Well, I think everyone already knows what the V8 looks like. LOL

Once I get a chance to do a full detail I plan to take some better pics. I'll post them in a new thread at that point.

Well, I think everyone already knows what the V8 looks like. LOL

Once I get a chance to do a full detail I plan to take some better pics. I'll post them in a new thread at that point.
Just yanking the chain,..

but seriously, I was just looking at an 04 ls the other day and the body was nice. the interior was in pretty good shape, but the trunk had been ripped all to hell and under the hood was a mess. It looked like the motor either had an oil and sludge bath or was hemoraging oil in a dust storm. You could not tell what condition the motor might be in since is was all one shade wet mud brown!!

The seller did not even bother to have the engine bay cleaned or the trunk liners replaced. Which just made me walk away quicker.

Just yanking the chain,..

but seriously, I was just looking at an 04 ls the other day and the body was nice. the interior was in pretty good shape, but the trunk had been ripped all to hell and under the hood was a mess. It looked like the motor either had an oil and sludge bath or was hemoraging oil in a dust storm. You could not tell what condition the motor might be in since is was all one shade wet mud brown!!

The seller did not even bother to have the engine bay cleaned or the trunk liners replaced. Which just made me walk away quicker.

I understand. It's amazing how little some people care. I also looked at an '05 but they wanted too much and the engine looked more worn than this one. It also didn't feel as peppy when I test drove it. I found out after running a carfax that it was originally used by the dealership as a rental. The engine bay on this one is immaculate.

If you feel the need for an extended warranty, AVOID AFTERMARKET WARRANTY COMPANIES LIKE THE PLAGUE!!!! I got a Ford Premium ESP warranty with a $50 deductible for ~$1750 from my dealer. I didn't have to be concerned about my warranty company going bankrupt or having a claim denied. Ford spells out everything in their warranty.

BTW, CONGRATS on the LS. I like the looks of the Zephyr/MKZ but can't get past a transverse engine and FWD. AWD doesn't interest me at all and the engine still faces the wrong direction!

Members online

No members online now.
Back