Traction Control Problem!!!!!!!

muzik4life

LVC Member
Reaction score
I have a 95 sts, recently when I turn the ignition to the on position, the check engine light comes on, the screen reads traction disabled, and the cooling fans come on full blast,and the car won't start. The only way to start the car is to turn the ignition on and off several times until the check engine light doesn't come on, after that the car starts fine and runs like a top. None of the repair shops seem to know whats wronge with it, and the dealer wants $85 an hour just to check it out! So if anyone has had this problem please help.....thanks.

What are the diagnostic trouble codes?

Press the ON and WARMER buttons on the climate control panel at the same time and hold them down until the PCM goes into diagnostic mode.

If you see any codes write them down and post them. I believe you should be able to launch the onboard diagnostic system this way.

Code Results

MAC1 said:
What are the diagnostic trouble codes?

Press the ON and WARMER buttons on the climate control panel at the same time and hold them down until the PCM goes into diagnostic mode.

If you see any codes write them down and post them. I believe you should be able to launch the onboard diagnostic system this way.

These are the codes that read out this morning IO-34, and TO-77

DTC 77 PCM/Serial Data Link Fault
Code I034 Loss of PCM Data

The first question the diagnostic tree asks for TO-77 is if IO-34 is also set and it says to diagnose that one first. IO-34 could be caused by a bad connection at the instrument panel,a bad ground, low system voltage or a bad PCM. I'd look at your battery connections first to make sure they are clean and tight then clear the codes and see if they come back.

How Do I Clrear The Codes?

Aaron J Williams said:
DTC 77 PCM/Serial Data Link Fault
Code I034 Loss of PCM Data

The first question the diagnostic tree asks for TO-77 is if IO-34 is also set and it says to diagnose that one first. IO-34 could be caused by a bad connection at the instrument panel,a bad ground, low system voltage or a bad PCM. I'd look at your battery connections first to make sure they are clean and tight then clear the codes and see if they come back.

THANKS BUT HOW DO I CLREAR THE CODES?

Ok, here's how it goes. After you push 'off' and 'warmer' it goes through all the stored codes then asks 'PCM?' The fan higher and lower buttons are yes and no.
Lo means no and HI means yes so if you have an IPC code and no PCM codes you would answer no to 'PCM?' and then it will ask 'IPC?' you answer yes and it asks 'DATA?','INPUTS' etc. and you answer no until it asks 'clear codes?' then you anwer yes and it clears the codes for IPC. You can clear any system codes this same way .You can exit diagnostics by pressing 'auto' or 'defog' and you can go back to main diagnostics(where it asks PCM?) by pressing 'off' . If you get confused just turn the key off and on again and start over. It sounds confusing but once you do it , it's really easy.

Still Doing the same thing!!!!!

Aaron J Williams said:
Ok, here's how it goes. After you push 'off' and 'warmer' it goes through all the stored codes then asks 'PCM?' The fan higher and lower buttons are yes and no.
Lo means no and HI means yes so if you have an IPC code and no PCM codes you would answer no to 'PCM?' and then it will ask 'IPC?' you answer yes and it asks 'DATA?','INPUTS' etc. and you answer no until it asks 'clear codes?' then you anwer yes and it clears the codes for IPC. You can clear any system codes this same way .You can exit diagnostics by pressing 'auto' or 'defog' and you can go back to main diagnostics(where it asks PCM?) by pressing 'off' . If you get confused just turn the key off and on again and start over. It sounds confusing but once you do it , it's really easy.

Thanks man I checked all battery connections, cleared the codes, and now I'm getting, please help

IO34
TO77
SO38

I don't know if this will work coreclty on caddies.:confused:

disconect both battery cables.
Then take the negitive and positive cable and hold them together for a couple of minutes.
On most cars that will completely clean/reset the computer to factory default programing.
Its kind of like a software reset, like you can do on many electronic decvices.;)
I have done it and I've know many other people to do this.
It should fix a weird problem like yours:)

if it doesn't work>>
and if your 100% positive that all of your battery and computer conections are good then it might be time for a computer

Members online

No members online now.
Back