Traclok clutches - how often do they have to be replaced?

I've done the trac loc clutches twice in mine with in 35,000 miles of eachother. but I.m doing 305 to the ground and do the stupid john force burn outs, and rip on the car pretty good..

the mustang even though super charged never had to be touched.

I've done the trac loc clutches twice in mine with in 35,000 miles of eachother. but I.m doing 305 to the ground and do the stupid john force burn outs, and rip on the car pretty good..

the mustang even though super charged never had to be touched.

right on. i have maybe 5k on mine. just making sure. The guy kinda scared me about the clutches burning up in the traclok's and was saying if I didn't get such a good deal on the new lok he would have pushed for a locker.

i noticed when i did a burn out recently, i think the passenger side side rear didn't put down as much traction as the driver. In the snow only the drivers side will spin, i gotta give it some decent gas to get the passenger side to go.

i'll probably just make an appointment to have the clutches looked at. But I was assuming that a weak passenger side wheel traction might be indicative of weak clutches.

I also am getting a hopping like a 4wd would do when making a Uturn... Its similar to when I have my jeep in 4wd engaged and tryo to make tight turns.... So I think it may be differential related.

I always check the simple stuff first.. You said you had someone else setup the rear end for you? So did someone else do the fluid fill?

If you were really worried I would drain and refill it making sure you add the proper amount of friction modifier. You never know - even the best can make mistakes...

The only time I've ever seen a ford TracLok finally let go was after 150k of rediculous abuse in a mild street 5.0.. (I dont personally know any serious track cars that run a TracLok.)

i noticed when i did a burn out recently, i think the passenger side side rear didn't put down as much traction as the driver. In the snow only the drivers side will spin, i gotta give it some decent gas to get the passenger side to go.

i'll probably just make an appointment to have the clutches looked at. But I was assuming that a weak passenger side wheel traction might be indicative of weak clutches.

I also am getting a hopping like a 4wd would do when making a Uturn... Its similar to when I have my jeep in 4wd engaged and tryo to make tight turns.... So I think it may be differential related.

The last part indicates the LSD is gripping more than slipping..

When you have the snowy peg legs is the diff still cold or is this after a good amount of driving and turning to get some friction / heat into it?

it might have been not completely warmed up, i just noticed one time when i laid down some tread, the one said seemed to put down more meat than the other, could have just been the tires though. But from the responses sounds like these are really industructable. I wouldn't have messed it up quite yet. I've only got maybe 6 months 8k on it so far.

I just was warned that the clutches will go on them after a lot of use... and I didnt know if I had hit that point yet or not. But I imagine I havn't.

If you were really worried I would drain and refill it making sure you add the proper amount of friction modifier.

This is good advice, I mean seriously.

what more can you do Abe?
change the fluid (dont omit/forget/assume something dumb) the friction modifier

If that doesn't fix the issue, then purchase a rebuild kit, rinse lather repeat with less stupid driving tricks {holding brakes doing burnouts, etc)

Now you know the "Abe Lifespan" of either.."your fluid or your Tlok clutches".

you've spent a fair amount of time "wondering/talking about it" on the internet, now go find out what it is and come back and tell us.

GO ABE GO!

Lots of Serious cars run the oem track lock... the Terminator Cobras....

I wasnt trying to say that serious cars dont run them.. Sorry for the confusion.. I try to only speak from experience instead of spreading hearsay..

I was saying that I have not personally had any real experience with serious track cars and tracloks.. Just street cars - and they seem to hold up extremely well for over 100k

it might have been not completely warmed up.
But from the responses sounds like these are really industructable. I wouldn't have messed it up quite yet. I've only got maybe 6 months 8k on it so far.

and I didnt know if I had hit that point yet or not. But I imagine I havn't.

Abe dont "lock onto" the fact your diff might not have been "completely warmed up".

Change the damned fluid..

You've given the thing a fair amount of abuse/nitrous/young guy hotrodding and now it's "doing something".. the first step.. and the most prudent move you can make is "remove and inspect" the fluid and replace it.

and in your last sentence you say the majic words.. "I imagine I haven't".

there you go "imagining again"...dont do that.

But from the responses sounds like these are really industructable.

NO they aren't indestructable, a properly mantained TracLok will give many years of good dependable service.

A neglected and abused (percevied as indestructable) quickly fail due to neglect and false perceptions.

If you power brake the car and put alot of brake pressure into the pedal you could kill a traclok in a short amount of time.

Now I know if I ask.. "do you do that".. I'd might as well be asking if you masterbate..because you're not gonna give me a honest answer.

Just street cars - and they seem to hold up extremely well for over 100k

+1..well said.

I put well over 250K on my traclok with roughly 4000 passes over a 7 year period.

I doubt I will bother with a rebuild kit before I put it in my new car.

Then again.. I "dont kill" the clutches...
I understand the limitations and how the thing works.

At the power level my car makes I doubt I've hurt the clutches much, the last pass at the track before the car got stolen/recovered was within .02 of the cars best ever 60 foot.

i check it out its fine, but what a waste of fluid, I didn't know it was relative to throttle, that makes sense. How often are you supposed to replace the gear oil anyways?

lol...

Abe, if you really want to make sure your tlock is tight and sending power to both wheels put in some carbon clutches with the 1+ mod and an F150 S spring :D

Members online

Back