Town Car rear spring conversion

De-marko

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
What all does it take to put the Crown Vic springs in place of the airbags on a '96 TC in the rear?

I'm not sure what a TC's rear bags look like but if they are anything like a Mark VIII's and CV's coils are a match to the bags all you need is a rubber mat to kill the squeaks and then pull out the bags and just push in the springs.

After looking at American Air Suspension's conversion it looks like it should be an easy swap.

This is what the parts look like, the air springs and the coil springs.

3886_1.jpg

bdf5_1.jpg

The air springs in my TC are still working good but if they ever go i will do a coil spring conversion.

no need to do the conversion kit just get cheap used ones from a vic
they work just fine without the rubber no squeaks in 2 of my town cars and also in a friend of mines
and it is a very easy job

2 Panther platform coil springs (any 1979 to current. Crown Victoria, Grand Marquis or Town Car (pre RAS (1990)) and 2 of the spring isolators between the top of the spring and the perch.
Part number for the isolator is D9AZ-5536-A, need two of these. They are around $10 each.

To maintain a smooth ride you should use the base rate (130lbs/in) CV/GMQ coils and not Police Interceptor/Taxi springs (160lb/in).
You can just order the current production Grand Marquis springs from your local dealer, they will be less expensive than older variations and are a direct fit (the load rating is what changes between year range, meaning the ride height given static vehicle load) and have the lower rate.

If you don't mind, or would prefer a little stiffer ride and better load carrying capability you can use the CVPI springs. Part numbers can be found here p71interceptor.com/rearsprings
The current production springs supersede older ones, so 6W7Z-5560-A (or -B) is what you would order.

I'd also advise against used coil springs for obvious reasons.

I cant believe i would actually say this but why would you wanna get rid of the air springs? Unless you need to replace everything at once i would think it wouldnt be to expensive to replace just the springs. I think you could even go with Limo air springs which are almost indestructable LOL

The air ride in my Dads lincoln TC has become very problematic, it is constantly messing up it seems. He just wants to ditch it and not have to mess with it anymore.

Members online

Back