Tow hook points

FDR

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
The LS will be getting picked up by a flatbed next week and, based on the previous experience, the tow truck driver may not be able to easily find a point to hook the winch. That guy ended up running the cable under the front of the car back to somewhere under rear door. That was painful to watch, seeing the cable pull up against my chin spoiler. "Bumper + spoiler < bricked engine" I told myself, as I turned away "he knows what he's doing" (though, as it turns out, the engine was bricked anyway).

So any recommendations? Any easy way to get something to work with the tow hook point in the lower grille?

I'd like to have a permanent tow hook in that opening in the future for some piece of mind as well. Not to show it off because racecar, just to have a definite tow point, preferably fitting behind the cover.

This was a "Similar Thread" that popped up, but with a quick look underneath, I didn't see anything by the passenger muffler

http://www.lincolnvscadillac.com/forum/showthread.php?92236-LS-Tow-rear-point

What I did find was: (A) my differential seems to be leaking more than ever. The bottom 1/3 of the pumpkin is wet with oil. (B) as if to insult my slow progress, not 24 hours after rolling the car a carlength, 3 ugly spiders have set up camp by stringing vertical webs between the car and ground.

I guess no one else has had confused tow truck drivers.

For future reference, I found the rear tow points once I looked during the day. I've just been forgetting to follow up. They're on both sides, between the muffler and the spare tire well, pretty high up. You'd think you were hooking the trunk floor. It's just two oval holes on each side.

This is from the 2005 LS Owner's manual:
"Ford Motor Company produces a towing manual for all authorized tow
truck operators. Have your tow truck operator refer to this manual for
proper hook-up and towing procedures for your vehicle."

So I Googled LS Towing manual and I got a pdf file: http://www.motorcraftservice.com/vdirs/quickref/RTS 2005 Towing Manual.pdf

Glancing through it really doesn't point to specific tow hook locations, but it states to use T-hooks inserted in the appropriate tie down slots (???) rather than using J-hooks. Hope this help you some.

This is from the 2005 LS Owner's manual:
"Ford Motor Company produces a towing manual for all authorized tow
truck operators. Have your tow truck operator refer to this manual for
proper hook-up and towing procedures for your vehicle."

So I Googled LS Towing manual and I got a pdf file: http://www.motorcraftservice.com/vdirs/quickref/RTS 2005 Towing Manual.pdf

Glancing through it really doesn't point to specific tow hook locations, but it states to use T-hooks inserted in the appropriate tie down slots (???) rather than using J-hooks. Hope this help you some.

Nice to have!! I saved the relevant section.....

While that booklet may have been distributed to companies, I guarantee neither Tanner nor Buck the driver has ever read it. I'm not sure what a T-hook is, but the smaller, thicker c/j-shaped hooks that both my tow rope and the flatbeds winch had fit the frame holes perfectly. They went in a big hole and looped into a smaller one which held the hook at about a 45 degree angle downward. I can take pictures when I get the car back

331797_2000x2000.jpg

Members online

No members online now.
Back