Total loss..no sh!t!!!

The omen

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
So my insurance company calls me today and tells me that my 98 is "totaled":shifty: I said "no sh!t" really! They also told me that after my deductible they estimate they will give me $3,500 for my car! Aren't they supposed to give you what it would cost to go to a dealership and get the same (or close to) car with tax and tags. I was also told that they find 3 cars similar to mine in the area for sale and average out the price of all 3? I don't know but I know if I went to a stealership to get the same car I had, I would pay more than 3,500. Should I accept that amount or fight them?

Start doing you're own research in your area for comparables. Show them and try to get more...4500 sounds better but i dont know what kinda shape yours was in or where you you live.

yeah, My lawyer is all over this now! He was just waiting for the official police report to come out(which did yesterday). I have been out of work for 2 weeks so far. As far as my car, it was sold to me from a fellow member here (eunospeed) and was extremely clean with adreniline pump and new front bags,blend door fixed,loaded with all options for the 98 yearplus it was a lsc.I am going to fight them until I get what I want.

yup, sue the ambulance, but as far as insurance goes, they never pay what the car is worth or for you to have to replace it, my ex boss totalled his 1 year old ford edge and after insurance paid it off, he still owes $4,000.00 . BUT what you can do is either list all the extras $$$ you paid for stereo, tires, rims, anything you added and they have to tack that on. OR take the 3500 and demand you keep the car with a salvage title and sell any parts you want, did that with a nissan, and ended up with more cash than the insurance co. paid me for the car.

yup, sue the ambulance, but as far as insurance goes, they never pay what the car is worth or for you to have to replace it, my ex boss totalled his 1 year old ford edge and after insurance paid it off, he still owes $4,000.00 . BUT what you can do is either list all the extras $$$ you paid for stereo, tires, rims, anything you added and they have to tack that on. OR take the 3500 and demand you keep the car with a salvage title and sell any parts you want, did that with a nissan, and ended up with more cash than the insurance co. paid me for the car.

I have about $800 in reciepts for the front air suspension that john(previous owner) did before it was sold to me and about $300 for inspection,tranny cooler,ect ect. I am supposed to talk with them tomorrow to discuss the claim so I will mention what you said about keeping the car with the salvage title and just sell whatever good parts are left on it.

If they hit you why are you paying a deductable. When I got rear ended they came out and cut me a check for the full amount with no deductale. Same when I used my insurance to repair my car after a hit and run.

It has always been my knowledge that all insurance companies use the Kelly bluebook to determing value of a vehicle in terms of paying a claim.
Bob.

If they hit you why are you paying a deductable. When I got rear ended they came out and cut me a check for the full amount with no deductale. Same when I used my insurance to repair my car after a hit and run.

I am going to talk to the claims people in the morning. I am not a happy camper and I let them know that earlier today. I will bring this up.

It has always been my knowledge that all insurance companies use the Kelly bluebook to determing value of a vehicle in terms of paying a claim.
Bob.

Thats what I heard also. kbb on my car is like $5,500...they are WAY off!!

Thats what I heard also. kbb on my car is like $5,500...they are WAY off!!

That is the reason insurance companies use the kelly bluebook value.
On a related subject, classic car insurers for the most part (depending on the insurance company) use an agreed value to determine what is paid out in a total loss situation.
Presently my Tbird is appraised,and insured with an agreed value of $22.000.00
God forbid the vehicle ever gets totaled, they will have to pay the agreed value.
As the car appreciates in the future, so will the agreed value.
The company I use didn't ask for a professional appraisal, but I did get one, and sent that in with my original application.
Bob.

So I talked to my insurance company today and told them to shove the $3,500 up their a$$! They told me to go and find a few marks about 200 mile radius of me that are equivilent to mine. I found 1 in pennsy that was a real low mileage (32,000) car equivilent to mine and that guy is asking 9,500. I also found one a little further (433miles:D) with 72,000 miles for 9,700. I also faxed $1,000 in reciepts. He told me that they only go by private party value and cars for sale privately?? I always thought is was retail value and what it would cost me to go into a dealer and buy the same car? Either way, those bastards are gonna pay me more than $3,500:mad:

most insurance companies do not use kelly blue book. NY and NJ kelly blue book is not used, because kbb figures into there priceing advertising fees as well as dealer prep fees and other fees which dont actually have any affect on the actual value of the car. Repair receipts dont add any value unless you changed an engine/tranny/rear end, and at most they may add a few hundred dollars. Most insurance companies use an outside 3rd party that compares your vehicle to other like it in your zip code to get an average value, plus or minus for options and vehicle conditions. The value does not include negotiating at the dealership(the sticker on the car may say 4k but you can negotiate it to $3500). I would assume you are filing 1st party which is the way to go, your company can subro against the other for whatever they pay out. If you need any advice feel free to ask.

You CAN negotiate with insurance companies. Show them ads you find for comparable cars - Look at ebay and Craigslist. Give them the 3 highest ads where the mileage is comparable.

You CAN negotiate with insurance companies. Show them ads you find for comparable cars - Look at ebay and Craigslist. Give them the 3 highest ads where the mileage is comparable.

I was looking around the internet earlier and found a few with less miles but all the same options. There are more for sale at dealers then private owners so its harder to pinpoint one near me. The insurance company told me to go out 200 mile radius.

been there

I swerved too miss a deer in my 97 lsc in Dec 2010 hit the ditch. Car was above average with 139000 miles I went and got a qote to fix at local body shop they said 2500 too fix. My ins said it was totaled after their adjuster looked at it. They gave me 3750 minus my 250 deductable so i get ck for 3500. I also get to keep car & the clean title for it I had in my safe. I buy used 98 with good exterior raged interior for 500. Take front end parts I need off it put them on. Take car and have painted for 1500, looks better than before wreck and put the 1500 in my pocket and now also have a parts car!

I swerved too miss a deer in my 97 lsc in Dec 2010 hit the ditch. Car was above average with 139000 miles I went and got a qote to fix at local body shop they said 2500 too fix. My ins said it was totaled after their adjuster looked at it. They gave me 3750 minus my 250 deductable so i get ck for 3500. I also get to keep car & the clean title for it I had in my safe. I buy used 98 with good exterior raged interior for 500. Take front end parts I need off it put them on. Take car and have painted for 1500, looks better than before wreck and put the 1500 in my pocket and now also have a parts car!

When are you gonna sell me your car?

Members online

No members online now.
Back