Top speed

Dern Humpus

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Im participating in a top speed discussion on another board, and am curious as to how fast my mark can go. I dont support excessive speeding on public streets so I'm not going to go out and try it myself.

How fast can my stock 97 mark base go? :dancefool

Dern Humpus said:
Im participating in a top speed discussion on another board, and am curious as to how fast my mark can go. I dont support excessive speeding on public streets so I'm not going to go out and try it myself.

How fast can my stock 97 mark base go? :dancefool
130mph

Dern Humpus said:
I'm not going to go out and try it myself.

Hey Iowa has a lot of long straight hwys. If you haven't taking it to 100 mph yet man you don't know what your missing. :steering

Early moring I-35 hmmmm.... try it.

Early moring I-80 hmmm.... try it.

The Mark VIII handles so good. At 100 mph you feel like your only doing 60 mph.

I don't do it often and I don't recomend it often but at some point you have to air it out. The car will love it and you'll not need sex for a few days. :cool: :gr_devil:

i can tell you for a fact it can go 181.7mph, and i have an article if you wnat me to prove it. i myself have no governers in mine and i have gone off the spedo once, not that i endorse that.

MrWilson said:
i can tell you for a fact it can go 181.7mph, and i have an article if you wnat me to prove it. i myself have no governers in mine and i have gone off the spedo once, not that i endorse that.
Not true, that car was HIGHLY modified to do such a top speed, read the article VERY carefully.

You can do 163 and the air holds you back and you run out of power. That has been proven.

I did 142 in my 00 ls v8 in 4th gear in sst, prolly 1k rpm from redlining in that gear. I'm sure the mark vIII can pull somewhere near there.

i got 130 im my 94 mark....had sooooo much left in it, but the gov kicked in....i didnt even know a 94 had a gov...(how do i remove it?) I love making the trip between prescott, az and san diego, ca....lots of open, un-patrolled roads!

:L

it didnt seem modified, just stripped of preformance robbing parts, but i will take your word on it, because your car rocks!

MrWilson said:
it didn't seem modified, just stripped of preformance robbing parts, but i will take your word on it, because your car rocks!
Its in the article. The entire engine was balance and blueprinted as well as the undercarriage having a belly pan for the airflow, brakes removed, weighed less then stock, lowered, etc. All this added up made the car go that fast, a stock Mark couldn't achieve this speed.

Tom Dern did 163 and change in a stock Mark VIII at the "Silver State Classic" race in Las Vegas totally stock except for our chip and no mufflers.

that is still nothing to be ashamed of, but i got a question for yall...i havent played with my gov's. and i know that it comes in on 127, or 137, w/e...anyways, i have taken the needel off of the 140 once or twice, how is that? no gear changes so the spedo isnt off. :steering

Are you sure that the previous owner did not have a chip in it? It is possible that it does, not totally, but it is possible. Also, if the tires are a different size than the factory 225/60/16's then that will set the speedo off as well. That is the only 2 things I can think of.

where do you get this "chip" and how much am i looking to spend on it...also, is there a way to connect my laptop to it? (the car)

:wave nope, the tires are factory specs, ( i have gone through 4 sets in 14000 miles....OOPS! too much torque for my foot). Im prity sure that the car is stock. But if it was, then that might explain my idle problem....hmmm im gonna have to check this out in depth. You can get a chip from one of many places. First, I havent tried these, but i have researched them and these are my favorites.

1: LMS
2: Diablo(it sticks out)
3:ford racing( i think it sticks out)
4:scp ( http://www.supercoupeperformance.com/ )

Great just great........ here I was doing some research about getting a different set of wheels next year. thought I'd being doing good to get a T-bird so I could have something nice and sporty. Buuuuuut noooo.......now I find out I can have my cake and flog it too!
First class luxury and 140+ top end......sheesh do I have a job with selling the idea to the wife.
"But honey it gets good mileage.....but honey it's so comfortable.....but honey I'll never go over the speed limit I swear!" Think she'll believe me?
:rolleyes: :biggrin:

I know that when I was at bonneville there was a 98 lsc that ran 188mph it was stock with the speedlimiter removed. I saw it happen!

well, i have recently been researching that and it appears that the rear end in the mark starts to melt at arround 180, so that was probabily off just a bit

One thing i dont understand is when one person tells a story...someone else ALWAYS comes in with their two bits and destroys it...maybe it did, maybe it didn't...who really cares...hear the story, believe it, or don't, but please keep your trap shut and move on with your life!!!!!!!!!

:soapbox:

greatXpectations said:
Ohhh....i want one!

Oh yea, i have one...hehe...how do i get this darn govenor off?

you are the one that own the bonneville mark, i know over on markviii some guy bought that car

Members online

Back