Took 7 years for another coil failure

Mechanicboy

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
The Accel Coils lasted as long as I can expect I suppose but I'm not entirely sure they are the culprit.

I was driving hard through the mountains after leaving a construction zone when I noticed my coolant temperature creeping up(I think my thermostat is sticking). On my way back it headed up again then it started missing. Pulled a plug and tested the coils and cylinder #5 wasn't firing. I also found a good amount of oil getting past the valve cover gaskets. I replaced the coil with a spare at home and I'm still getting a misfire from cylinder #5(codes in attached picture). Now I have to break out the OHM meter!

I really can't complain. Since 3/12/2011 I've only replaced the tires, battery, and fuel pump each once. Time to give her some love. I'm thinking valve cover gaskets, test the coils and probably replace all them, spark plugs, thermostat, and blow out/clean the radiator/condenser.

Suggestions on best place for the gaskets and which coils are best these days would be appreciated. Thanks!

Screenshot_2018-08-15-13-56-37.png

Members online

No members online now.
Back